Wisconsin LFS'!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Wisconsin

Old 11-02-2004, 05:50 AM   #1
imnappy2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to imnappy2
Default Wisconsin LFS'!!!

The one wisconsinite holding strong here!! Maybe I should just talk to myself in this part of the forum. Imnappy2 how do you feel about the lfs's near you??
Old 11-02-2004, 05:53 AM   #2
imnappy2
Algae Grower

Well Imnappy2 I go to school in Milwaukee and live right downtown, the local fish stores downtown are not that great. The prices vary, the best spot for plants, information, and all round solid store is Hoffer's Tropical Pets on 76th and Good Hope Rd. But its a 20+ minute drive depending on traffic to get there. Great place though. And my home town of Eau Claire, the lfs just wasnt up to par on anything. Dont really know if there are any new ones yet.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:55 AM   #3
imnappy2
Algae Grower

Thats so weird!! Thats my hometown too!! And I would agree that probably is the better of the LFS's for prices, knowledge, and overall store.

Talking to myself just isnt cutting it. I just cant seem to get my gf interested in planted tanks!!
Old 11-02-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hey goofy . There are a few of us in Wisconsin....unfortunately for you, we are all in Madison. There is a pretty good shop here (Aquatic Specialties) that specializes in planted tanks, but otherwise, it's mostly just the same old "super"stores (with a couple of decent "mom-and-pops" as well). I went to school in EC. You're right, not much there as far as plants go. Some wacky stuff in the back of that hardware store on Clairmont though .

You got an album thread on the forum? Mine all start with "Uni's blank blank album".

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:24 AM   #5
imnappy2
Algae Grower

I grew up in EC and now go to school in Milwaukee. Last year for that though.. graduate in may. BSME from MSOE. about time 5 years later. I post all my pictures and what not on yahoo pictures and just reference that. photos.yahoo.com/imnappy2 its all my pics though.. sign into yahoo to see age restricted stuff if interested.. lol. ie Harley Fest and Indy 500. But not much on the planted tank yet. Moved to indiana for the summer to work at the H2 manufacturing facility so took my tank down.. sold the 55 gallon and now am in the process of setting up a 75 gallon but have some MAJOR green water problems that for the life of me i cant seem to get rid of. Just glad to see someone from WI on here. I see you have a shrimp as your icon or whatever, you dont happen to have some shrimp besides ghost shrimp that you are interested in selling?
Old 11-03-2004, 05:26 AM   #6
imnappy2
Algae Grower

And that Hardware store right up on main street and clairmont? Benfranklins is what it used to be.. definately a strange place. Used to buy alcohol underage at the hole in the wall liquor store next store when i was a senior in hs... lol
Old 03-19-2006, 02:38 AM   #7
kennywu

Default Someone else in the EC area

Hey i am also alone over here in eau claire, let me know if you want to trade some plants, i am looking for something short for the foreground of my 40 gal high light heavy planted tank
kennywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:36 AM   #8
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywu
Hey i am also alone over here in eau claire, let me know if you want to trade some plants, i am looking for something short for the foreground of my 40 gal high light heavy planted tank
Kenny, You're about 6 years too late . I escaped UWEC in 2000. Looking for plants in an EC pet shop?!? Your best bet will be to head over to 1/2 moon lake.

Old 03-19-2006, 04:53 AM   #9
j-dawg

I suppose what better place for my first post than to plug a hometown LFS. =) I'm from Madison and I worked at Aquatic Specialties for most of 2005. Great store. Now I do some part time at a new place, Living Art Aquarium on the far west side right across the street from Petsmart. I'd rate it as slightly above average for plants, about the same as Aq-Spec except for a few customers we have that grow crazy hard to find stuff and then bring in their extra cuttings when available. So thanks to them we occasionally have plants I've only previously seen in books.
j-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:58 AM   #10
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

I've seen Paul's gig. Nice angle on the hobby, and quite a statement opening his store across the street from Petsmart . Now if only I lived on the west side :-|. Last time I was in, there were some fantastic cichlids and rasboras - really specialized stuff. But darn that 30 minute drive.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #11
tundragirl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (95/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna
there were some fantastic cichlids and rasboras - really specialized stuff. But darn that 30 minute drive.
I don't know what you are complaining about I have to drive an hour to find anything like that. The lfs by me only carry cheep normal stuff and only about 3 varieties of plants. really boring mostly I order online.
my 2 cents
Cindy

ps when I lived down there I used to drive from east to west for a pair of shoes. got my first tank at a fs on the west side (wish I could remember the name-not far from the mall)
Old 03-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #12
imnappy2
Algae Grower

Kenny,
My hometown is EC and travel back quite often to see the fam. I am always doing something different to the tank so lots of cuttings and what not. And am over loaded with cherry shrimp. Next time I head in I will make sure to bring something for ya. Send me a reply every so often though to remind me.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #13
kennywu

Default Home town trip

Let me know, i have been looking for some shrimp but I cringe when i see them for 3-8 dollars a piece, let me know if you want to swap cuttings sometime
kennywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #14
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYNTHIA G
I don't know what you are complaining about ...when I lived down there I used to drive from east to west for a pair of shoes.
That's not saying much, Cindy. My wife would drive to Mexico for the "right" pair of shoes . But, I hear what you are saying. We City folk do have a habit of complaining with our mouths full . Just don't get all when-I-was-a-kid-we-walked-to-school-though-3-feet-of-snow on me , and I'll stop taking what I have for granted .

Old 04-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #15
hurley0816
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

is there also a store called aqauriums specialties or something like that? i was in mad town the other day and thought it was aqautic specialties, but thay didnt know anything about plants. where is aqautic specialties?
hurley0816 is offline   Reply With Quote