Inexpensive Hanging T5HO
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Inexpensive Hanging T5HO

Thought I would post today's project. I am not sure if it belongs in the DIY section considering I did not put much effort in to construction. It is however fairly cheap (less than $45 total) and incredibly functional.

I visited a local hydroponics shop a couple weeks ago. While checking out different colorful and over-priced (compared to dry) fertilizers, I found this this 24" T5HO fixture:

It was $35.99 for the light strip, a 6400k 24w bulb, polished reflector, and mounting hardware. The wheels started spinning.

I told the owner of the shop I am interested in aquariums and was thinking about mounting one of these above my 29g. He said he might have just the thing for me and went to the back. He returned with two angle pieces I believe are used for shelving. Apparently he was just going to throw them out because he said I could just take them. This Hydrofarm vendor's generosity is one of the reasons I have yet to remove the stickers from the front of the reflector. Check out Green Gopher Garden Supply if you are in the Monterey area.

I drilled holes at the ends for the eye bolts then spray painted these bad boys, along with my deck.

I went to the hardware store and picked up eye bolts, washers, lock nuts, wire and fasteners, anchors, and screws. After some measurements, I drilled the holes and put in the anchors.

After assembly and mounting, I ended up with this:

The best part about this lighting setup is how simple it is to adjust the height. I am still trying for no co2 injection, so I may want to raise it up further. I will hit up the lighting section for advice.

It was a fun little project for my day off. Here are the results:

Last edited by Hyzer; 06-19-2010 at 05:15 PM..
Hyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yet another search button win:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...5ho-light.html

Thanks Hoppy!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
kaldurak
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

hey hey! that's the same light I am running over my 16 gallon. I am extremely pleased with it so far.
kaldurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Catherine
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Would it be a really bad idea to gut the standard fixtures that come with tanks and retro fit them with one of these kits? I worry about the heat, but I've never owned a t-5 fixture.
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Easy + cheap + effective = awesome!

The two wood strips could be replaced with a board spanning both brackets, which would give you a shelf. I'm always looking for ways to make more storage space.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

These hydroponics lights are a great option. Nice post!
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)

That is a great price! the reflector looks especially nice.
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #8
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Would it be a really bad idea to gut the standard fixtures that come with tanks and retro fit them with one of these kits? I worry about the heat, but I've never owned a t-5 fixture.
Welcome Catherine!

It does not really matter which type of fixture you hang. What does matter is that you mount it securely.

I hung this one mainly to reduce light intensity because the bulb is a T5HO. You would most likely not need to hang a stock hood because they are T8s, which have a much lower light output.

The fixture barely gets warm. A hanging fixture would be much better at temperature reduction than one directly on top of the tank.

Quote:
The two wood strips could be replaced with a board spanning both brackets, which would give you a shelf. I'm always looking for ways to make more storage space.
It's always nice to have more storage but we like the bare look. Plus, I didn't go heavy duty on the anchors because the whole setup couldn't weigh more than a few pounds.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
msnikkistar
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)

I am going to have to try this out...

Since I live in the "Emerald Triangle", I have a laundry list of hydroponic stores in my area.

msnikkistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Glad you found out about these! Ripariumnists have been using them seccesfully for a while, and they are AWESOME! Nice job hanging it BTW!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)

How do you make sure that the light will be hanging in the right position in relation to the tank? I'm afraid to drill holes in the ceiling and find out that the light hangs a little bit off from the middle of the tank.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
msnikkistar
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)

I think doing it in the wall is a little less difficult then the ceiling.

What I would do myself is hang a string with some weight on the bottom to the edges of the tank. Make a small mark on the ceiling where this is. Then mark the middle of that measurement Then measure from the wall to where ever the hole in the light fixture for the cable or chain is, and measure that from the ceiling. Last step for me when then be finding out where the whole is from the side of the tank. Mark that on the ceiling, and find the meeting points and mark. That's just me though.

msnikkistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #13
WeedCali
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Thats an awesome DIY man!

Now put a black background on that tank and watch it shine

btw... in case you didnt notice, I like black backgrounds
WeedCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #14
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
How do you make sure that the light will be hanging in the right position in relation to the tank? I'm afraid to drill holes in the ceiling and find out that the light hangs a little bit off from the middle of the tank.
I found my tape measure, an old level, and a pencil did the job quite well. I ended up marking the wall up a few times to get it just right and level.

If you are mounting it on the ceiling, Nikki's idea is probably the simplest.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Ramos View Post
How do you make sure that the light will be hanging in the right position in relation to the tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
I think doing it in the wall is a little less difficult then the ceiling.

What I would do myself is hang a string with some weight on the bottom to the edges of the tank. Make a small mark on the ceiling where this is. Then mark the middle of that measurement Then measure from the wall to where ever the hole in the light fixture for the cable or chain is, and measure that from the ceiling. Last step for me when then be finding out where the whole is from the side of the tank. Mark that on the ceiling, and find the meeting points and mark. That's just me though.
'Plumb Bob' = Exact transfer of point to point line center from ceiling to tank top.
(You can Google it) Tanks on the left (excuse the mess plz)

Sun Blaze hydro 54WT5HO $55.00
Price saving and great reflectors. Fixtures just aren't as fancy. Good value though.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote