how does BBA spread?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
MidnightSkies
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default how does BBA spread?

Alright, so I'm new to keeping aquariums 'properly' and am in the process of cycling currently. My mother does have one (horribly neglected and unwanted) aquarium. I'd love to be able to take some filter media from it, but of course there's a problem... The tank has a horrible BBA problem. Can BBA spread by filter media or by tank water? Or is it only spread by something visibly contaminated by it? I'm guessing I should stay as far away from the tank as possible, but I'm impatient with my cycling and wanted to know for sure. Neither tanks currently have any live plants and mine is going through a fishless cycle if it makes a difference.
MidnightSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
insta
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

BBA goes away when the conditions aren't optimal for it to grow. It will come back if you clean everything off. According to Rex Grigg's algae article, BBA is caused by a lack of CO2, aka high nitrates and high light.

If you've got nitrates forming from a fishless cycle, and you have good lighting over your tank, you run the risk of getting BBA if you're not injecting CO2.
insta is offline   Reply With Quote