WANTED: Your best Hagen CO2 recipes!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > The Planted Tank FAQ

Old 09-08-2004, 06:43 PM   #1
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Exclamation WANTED: Your best Hagen CO2 recipes!

I am looking for the best DIY recipes for the Hagen CO2 unit.

I was reading a couple of past threads, and while the discussion was about the Hagen unit, the recipes always seemed to revert back to the 2l bottle. The Hagen canister is no where near 2l, so those recipes don't translate easily! We have so many resourceful and experienced people on this board, I am sure a great recipe is out there!

I am asking the DIYers to post their best Hagen CO2 unit recipes! If recipe proportions need to be different because of different types of yeasts (bread, wine, beer or champagne) post them!

Mike
Old 09-08-2004, 07:15 PM   #2
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I fill sugar up to the line indicated in the Hagen canister, add 1/4 tsp yeast, 1 tsp baking soda, and then fill water up to the top line. Recipe courtesy of anonapersona

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:04 PM   #3
mpb
Planted Member

I use the Hagen ladder with a 2l bottle. Does it count?

Anyway one thing that does make the recipe last longer is to activate the yeast culture using the guideline on this article:
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html
mpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
cookingnerd607
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607

Im using some hard plastic lemon juice bottles similar in size to my hagen unit, i too would like a good recipe. Seems they go strong @ 14 bpm for about 7 days then drop drastically to 3-4bpm. thanks!
cookingnerd607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:05 PM   #5
scalare altum
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to scalare altum

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda huggenkiss
I fill sugar up to the line indicated in the Hagen canister, add 1/4 tsp yeast, 1 tsp baking soda, and then fill water up to the top line. Recipe courtesy of anonapersona
That is what I use :P
We always put animals in cages so that we can take pleasure in seeing them. Perhpas if we put them in places that they can take pleasure in living in, then we would find them more beautiful to look at when they showed themselves. -Takashi Amano
scalare altum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:41 PM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (169/100%)

Baking soda has not worked for me, it only caused the mixture to foam. So if you have hard water like I do, you might want to test the recipe minus the BS.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:27 AM   #7
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
I use the Hagen ladder with a 2l bottle. Does it count?
NO! LOL! Just joking MPD!

I am looking for a recipe with proportions that anyone can use in conjunction with the Hagen System as it is. The refill packets are expensive, and they often seem not to work. I am hoping to get a few recipes for myself and the rest of our members.

So far we have Anonapersona's recipe:
Quote:
When I refill the Hagen canister, I fill it to the line inside with sugar and then to the top line with water, then add 1/4 teaspoon Fleischman's yeast, regular I guess, and 1 teaspoon baking soda.
With the additional information that adding baking soda to brewers yeast or wine yeast may make those mixtures less effective.

Mike
Old 09-09-2004, 03:59 PM   #8
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

If you have semi hard water (I'd say at least 4dKh and 6dGh) then you can skip the baking soda.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 06:37 AM   #9
AlgaeHater
Algae Grower

I have a hagen and measured out what comes stock in the expensive little packets. Its 1 tsp of baking soda and 1/8 or 1/4 tsp of yeast, I cant remember now. Anyways I uses sugar to the line, 1 tsp of baking soda and 1/8 to 1/4 of Red Star active dry yeast. This produces pretty good results. sometimes it is a unpredictable as to how much co2 comes out. I am going to put a little plastic air regulater in the line so if to much comes out I wont have a problem. Has anyone had a problem with the nutrafin packets in use smelling like death? Mine did once, it was a terrible awful smell. I have got a recipe for a 2l bottle if it could help anyone: 2 cups of sugar 1 tsp and 1/4 tsp of yeast.
AlgaeHater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
heizenberg1980

I never had much luck with it. I tried it 6 or 7 times, with 2 liter bottles and the provided "bottles". I tried to be very scientific with it each time. I had 2 bottles and ladders mixed at exactly the same time with exactly the same water and formula. Sometimes it would work very well, sometimes it would be a dud. Seems like the trick was to have the water hot enough to help the yeast along but not too hot to kill it. I never had one last for more than a week or so. It was a big production, and an even bigger mess every single time. I invested in a 10 lb pressurized co2 tank with regulator, and have never looked back. I use an Up-Aqua atomizer with a "bazooka" tube to diffuse the co2 directly into the return hose from my canister filter. I rigged the return so it came out halfway deep in the water of my 75 gallon tank. The bubbles come out almost microscopic. It works great and minimal equipment in the tank makes it look great! After setup cost is about 10 bucks every 2 1/2 months to get the tank filled. About 2 minutes with some teflon tape and a wrench, 5 minutes to dial it in and... done. Besides that, the look of wonder on the guys faces at the welding shop makes me laugh everytime. My point is I guess it all really BOILS (see what I did there?) down to whats your time, effort, buying yeast, pounds of sugar, etc... really worth? Ask yourself, why don't I ride a bicycle to work everyday? Because the car has been invented... I didn't mean to ramble or be a wizenheimer, but it really is much much better.
heizenberg1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
co2 help, diy co2