The Planted Tank Forum banner

Boiling R/O water to right temp..

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Diana 
#1 ·
I was wondering how people prepare their water temperature before pooring it in their tanks. When I do my water changes I try avoid water temp dropping.. I ussually put partial water in the microwave to warm it then blend it with room temp water but it takes too long.. I keep water temp @ 82-84 f......
I was wondering if I can BOIL R/O water to expedite this process... Well it affect the R/O water in anyway..
Wat methods do u guys use during ur water changes..
Thanks for u time ..
:fish1:

#2 ·
RO water is chemically pure. Water is a fantastic solvent and will dissolve anything eventually, which is why it's called the universal solvent. Better that you drop a heater into your RO reservoir to warm it to tank temp than to introduce it to 200F+ temps and risk contaminating it. That's what I used to do anyway.

#3 ·
Be careful with boiling water in the microwave oven.
I once did a science project for school when I was 15 or so: boiling water in microwave and cooling it down, giving it to a house plant, it killed the plant. I did the same to another plant (same species plant) same water, only not boiled in microwave, this plant did fine. I can't tell for sure the pant died because of the microwaved water, but I'm pretty sure.

I use cold water for WC, never had a problem

#5 ·
Be careful with boiling water in the microwave oven.
I once did a science project for school when I was 15 or so: boiling water in microwave and cooling it down, giving it to a house plant, it killed the plant. I did the same to another plant (same species plant) same water, only not boiled in microwave, this plant did fine. I can't tell for sure the pant died because of the microwaved water, but I'm pretty sure.
Not really related to the topic, but microwaved water does not kill plants...

#6 ·
I'm looking for a better method to warm the water.. I have 72 gallon tank so I change large amounts of water weekly. So I'm trying to find out a better way for doing this.. I will consinder all feedback.. Any new ideas helps..
Thanks for the comments

#8 ·
I use a stainless steel pot on the stove to heat larger quantities of water. I also have a 2 part roasting pan, enameled, and both the lid and the bottom can be used on top of the stove.

I have taken in rain water, (almost RO) and brought it to a boil. Then add the boiling hot water to a garbage can of room temperature rain water. Depends on how warm the tanks, and which garbage can I am filling, it might take 3-4 heatings.

More detail:
Collect rain water via a pump from the tub in the yard to one of my water change prep cans. I have 3: 20 gal, 32 gal and 44 gal.
Use a smaller pump to fill (about 2/3 full) the roast pans on the stove (gas stove). The roast pans are large enough to span 2 burners. Bring the water to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Carry (VERY CAREFUL) the roast pan to the garbage can and dump it in, pan and all. The garbage cans are on wheels, so I can do this in the kitchen then roll it to the tank.
If the water in the can is not hot enough yet, pump more water out of the can and into the roast pans. Repeat until I have enough water, the right temperature, for water changes.

If I am just topping off the tanks I will not bother to heat the water. I bring in the rain water and allow it to come to room temperature, but no need to match the tank temperature when it is that small a volume.

#9 ·
Right now I have 5-5 gallons water containers..
Diana - I like ur idea .. I usually do 50 % water changes every Sunday .. I think if i add my water to a trash container mix it with boiling water would work great.. Ill have that large amount of water with the right temp..
Also u said when u top it off .. maybe I could do water changes twice a week but less quantities of water.. Maybe it'll help prevent the water temp dropping during water changes
What do u think..
Thanks Diana .. Very helpful advice ;)

#11 ·
Temperature changes when you top off or do water changes will depend on the volumes involved (tank and amount of water added) and the temperature difference between them.
I would never add outdoor-cold rain water to any tank, too cold even if i only needed to add a little bit.
I would add room temperature water to a tank, up to about 10% if it was a tropical tank, full water change is OK if the tank was already room temperature.

Best way to deal with this is to have the new water as close as possible to the existing water, within 5 degrees for a 50% water change. That way there is only about 2 degrees or so of temperature change either way. (The substrate holds the temperature too, so the math is right: 5 degrees difference in the new water creates no more than 2 degrees net difference with a 50% water change as long as it is not a bare bottom tank).

I have also used an aquarium heater to maintain the temperature in the garbage can, but I prefer to pay for gas to heat the water than electricity. Cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.