The Planted Tank Forum banner

Blue Neos- Hybrid of heteropoda and N. zhangjiajiensis

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  cantsay39 
#1 ·
Has anyone done or know of controlled breeding of these two subspecies? I am sure it has been done, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me of the results. I would assume hybridization of the two would help create a hardier line , but I wonder what it does for color?

First hand accounts of success or failure and or photos would be great.

#3 ·
This was out of curiousity rather than planning or intention to do so. I am sure professional breeders have done it but they would likely keep it to themselves.

Where did you hear about genetic issues? I would not expect that with hybrization of subspecies.

#4 · (Edited)
I read it somewhere here on the forums a while back but I can't find it. You could probably mix a couple and get some hybrids, but most of the time they will end up being brown.

Edit: You can try it, here's some examples of it working pretty well. Apparently they are fertile.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186232

#12 ·
They may or they may not. From what I remember when I had a few females that moulted from both species the whole tank was buzzing with activity. I thought about the same question and then I soon found my answer.

i have no idea... hard to say though... if i see my blue pearls have orange eyes does it consider they mated with the rillis
Wait are they bright orange or like a light brown?

#10 ·
I had sakuras and snowballs in the same tank. The tank had a divider but a few slipped through the grate and nature took over. I wasn't sure which shrimp mated with which, but after a while I did have some wild coloration babies. When in mean wild it was different shades of brown. I had a few that had some green shell and brown overlay but I found out the food I was feeding them had dye. I thought it was a natural color guess I was wrong. The farthest I gone with them was second generation the color was still brown no real change in color. I had pictures but they were deleted sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.