The Planted Tank Forum banner

Upgrading Aqualight Mounting Legs

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  joan 
#1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone tried to upgrade their aqualight mounting legs? After searching through old threads, I've noticed that many people have had problems with the fragility of the older (clear) mounting legs. Is there any way to strength them?

I don't want my light to fall into my tank...

I'm going to buy a light and can add the mounting legs for $7.50, so I was debating if I should buy them or not..

#2 ·
I'll admit I was disappointed when I brought my clear legs home and went to mount them, and a couple legs didn't want to go on properly at first. But I took the metal parts that slide into the guides on the light and straightened them out in the vice and it all lined up better. They're on there pretty solid now and work decent enough. I certainly wouldn't put undue stress on them, but my light sits atop my aquarium securely.

I wish I would have known about these: Aqualight Adjustable Mounting Legs and compared them to the clear legs before I bought. I just picked up what my LFS had. Something else to note is I still can't just open my glass top on my aquarium without having to shift the light when I have the legs mounted to sit atop there snugly. That other mount looks like it would work better in that regard.

#4 ·
Hmmm....

Looks like I should get the adjustable legs... They seem pretty nifty!

When I went to a LFS, the open planted tank housed a lighting fixture with a custom made hanging structure. Seemed to be made of metal pipes and what not. Has anyone had success making their own hanging structure? Looks like a pretty good alternative to me...

#5 ·
I wanted to buy those adjustable aqualight legs too but it required that you go "open Top" which also could possible open a can of worms if you have jumpy fish or worry about water evaporation. You'll have to cut the glass on the sides if you want to mount those adjustable legs... Wish I knew how to cut mine.... Maybe get a glass cutter or a dremel.. I'm afraid to cut though in case I break the whole thing or have sharp edges. That would not be nice to bleed all over the tank.

#7 ·
bc_hawaii said:
What do you mean by this? You'd only have to do this if you want a closed tank right?
Yes, it would be the glass on the glass top. Just remember if you have an open tank, you'll have to consider evaporation and you'll have to take it in to account with stocking. You'd be amazed how far zebra danios can jump, even with the water level lowered. :wink: You'll want to be careful which fish you choose and also shrimp can utilize plants, tubing, etc to go for a walk. Lots of people have open tanks though, and I think they can look really nice with plants breaking the waters surface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.