The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA Mini-S: Sharp

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  parrottbay 
#1 ·
Here it is! I've been working on this for a while. Finally I have a little time to work on my tanks and give them the attention they deserve.

So here's my Mini-S! I've actually had this since last March but I never could get my co2 setup working (faulty solenoid, taken care of) so I sorta gave up on it. I recently rescaped it and put it on my Shrimp Rack, and now here it is!

Stats:

Tank: ADA Mini-S (old 30 cm type)
Substrate: ADA Amazonia I (again reusing soil, I've heard it's a bad idea but oh well)
Filter: Zoomed 501 (actually a really nice filter for its cost)
Lighting: ADA Solar Mini 27 Watt, 8 hour photoperiod
Co2: pressurized, going to go on 30 minutes before the lighting
Fertilizers: ADA Brighty K (half pump), ADA Green Brighty Step 2 (skipping step 1 because HC requires more iron than normal and that is not in step 1)
Water change schedule: Ahh yes, the fun part. I have to do these things once a day for a week, then once every three days for a few weeks after that, right? Before eventually settling into once a week.

12/14 (Setup day)

Scape! Sprayed it a little, getting ready to plant the HC.

The HC I got from Aqua Forest. For some reason they shipped it with a cold pack in 30 degree weather so I've been slowly nursing it back to health -__-" when it came it was dark green and melted.

Starting to plant the HC

HC planting done, time to fill 'er up!

All done for the day! Here's how it looks.
*Also yes my inflow is just a tube. I know how lame it is. I need a 10 mm inflow pipe but I've literally ordered 3 of them and broken them trying to get them onto the tubing. So for now I'm just using the tube.

12/15 shots:

What a pretty co2 diffuser -___- I cleaned it with bleach!!! Guess I'm gonna have to do it again.

Some HC! Not pearling yet, but this is its first day so I'll give it a break.

I like this photo because I somehow managed to get absolutely nothing in focus. /lol

Current FTS as of 12/15/12: (One day of planting!)

^^Sorry the water level isn't all the way at the top.

Well anyway, here it is! Cant' wait to keep it up and actually stay on a schedule here. Looking forward to seeing how it grows!

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice start. You're going to need more HC, though, to get a decent carpet within six months to a year.

I know of a place near you where you can get HC locally, as I got some about two years ago there when my dad bought a car up in the 'Burgh and I went up with him. I dragged him to this store on the way home. The place is called Wet Pets and Friends, if I recall correctly. Nice place.

#6 ·
Thanks, everyone!

Thanks, and you're totally right-- I should have started with more HC. I didn't think I'd need more than three pots but I got the 3 skimpiest pots ever haha. Never heard of Wet Pets and Friends, but I'll probably head over to Elmer's today or tomorrow and pick some up.

Good suggestion!

#7 ·
I'm using Seiryu stone, and I've encountered a bit of a problem with it...

It raises TDS like a bear.

Seriously- I put in RO water yesterday, did nothing else except fertilize, checked the TDS this morning and it was 140. Now it's 180.

I hope the TDS increase slows down soon. I'm gonna be doing water changes daily for a week but I don't wanna be doing them forever, lol.

#8 ·
Fantastic start, I love the rock work, it is very dynamic. :)

For the inflow pipe try out the Cal Aqua, Do!Aqua or ADA pipes, they use stronger lab grade glass and are really tough to break. The difference in quality is vividly apparent when you hold them. I find that true with most ADA equipment, you have to see and handle it in person to understand the quality. Pictures don't really help.

When you attach it, heat the tubing prior with a blow dryer so it is more flexible.

following along. :smile:

#11 ·
Alright I definitely didn't forget this tank. There's just not much to take photos of right now. Thank you guys for the compliments! Do you want more pics of the tank (barely changed) or would you prefer me to wait till it grows in a little more?

I'm also super pleased to say the filter, light, co2 tank, etc. are all working great. Following Geniusdudekiran's suggestion I ordered a 3x3 patch of HC from H4n- he's a great seller! My only issues right now is BGA (that nasty cyanobacteria stuff) which is grabbing onto my HC. I believe it is regressing though; the filter wasn't fully cycled when I started the tank like I thought it was, and my nitrates were very low for the first few days but now are ~20.

I've only missed one water change too! Woo!

#13 ·
The tank is coming along nicely! Took Geniusdudekiran's advice and got a lot more HC from H4n (great seller!) it's been growing in well. Only minor problems with algae at the moment and they only start to show when I forget to WC every 3rd day. TDS problem is now under control, BGA is slowly receding (well, it's not growing) and HC is even pearling sometimes!

Also: I did flatten the substrate line but this pic was before that. And I asked the guru Francis Xavier for advice, he was very awesome and helpful :D He said he liked my rockscape haha. His only suggestion was to possibly move the main rock, because it looks a little too upright. I couldn't agree more and I'm glad someone mentioned it. I'm really nervous to move the rock because I've been so lucky with not disturbing the HC, so I'm going to let it grow some roots before I attempt to play with the rockscape again. But I'm glad to have received his help, I think it will help me a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.