The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludwigia sp. Rubin vs Ludwigia sp. Red

36K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  Darkblade48 
#1 ·
What's the difference between Ludwigia sp. Rubin and Ludwigia sp. Red? Which has the larger leaves, and which is more likely to stay red under low light?

#3 ·
Hi kperera,

To the best of my knowledge they are the same plant. The current accepted 'official' name is Ludwigia sp. 'Rubin' but the common name is Ludwigia sp. 'Red'. Many plants have a scientific name and common name such as Pogostemon helferi is many times referred to as 'Downoi'.

Hope this helps!

#4 ·
I used to think they were the same, but then I've seen people selling them differently, so I think there has to be a difference. I feel like a side by side would be very much appreciated.

#5 ·
they are not the same. ludwigia red has been labeled here as rubin

rubin has a more elongated leaf than sp. red. rubin also turns green and survives with less light

ludwigia sp.red with low enough light to change color will basically wither away and die
if its light requirements are met it will be orange, red, or purplish with enough light orange being the lower light levels

#6 ·
Hi All,

Realizing that the photoperiod, light intensity, and nutrients may impact leave shape and color possibly someone could please provide photos of the two plants growing side by side in the same conditions?

#7 ·
I have both Ludwigia sp Red and Rubin in the same tank growing side by side. The 'red' has turned a deep red while the rubin has turned green ever since I planted it. It stayed light red when I floated it in my other tank. I'll take a pic later tonight when there is no glare from my window.

#8 ·
I have some Ludwigia sp Red now. Under low light, it was still red, but more of an orangeish red. Now under my Ray 2, it's growing in dark blood red. I have some Ludwigia Rubin coming in today or tomorrow via the mail.

I was also curious about this, that I why I wanted some Rubin. If there is still interest, I'll post some pics in a few weeks after the Rubin settles in. I'll be mad if they are the same LOL! The guy I'm getting them from told me that the Rubin gets a much deeper red than the sp Red gets. Marketing??

#9 ·
IME, Ludwigia sp 'Red' will color up more in a greater variety of conditions. Ludwigia sp 'Rubin', although also a colorful plant, will show much a much greater variety in color depending on your tank conditions.

The following links are very informative (although not at all conclusive as, apparently, new ludwigia hybrids are brought to market):

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plant-id/78658-ludwigia-repens-rubin-another-hybrid.html

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plant-id/78984-another-ludwigia-hybrid-2.html

The first link suggests that L. sp. 'Red' is not 'Rubin'. The second link shows a great comparison among several ludwigia species (although sadly not w/ L. sp. 'Rubin')...

#10 ·
They are NOT the same plant. The Rubin is much, much larger and has leaves that are usually, but not always, alternate. It may be a hybrid of some kind. Working on that...

The Red is apparently a form of L. palustris that's smaller, opposite-leaved and is very easy to keep red. Rubin can get more of a maroon if conditions are good, but intensity of color between the two can be approximately equal.

#12 ·
Hi DeeJayA1,

I certainly agree the one on the left is L. sp 'Red' and the one on the right is certainly different. The L. sp 'Rubin' in your picture looks somewhat like the one pictured at APC although not as reddish, the leaves seem longer, and I cannot quite make out the detail of the leaf placement on the stems.

Thanks for the pic....worth a thousand words!

#13 ·
a closer look at the 'rubin'

Keeping the 'red' as red as it is has never been an issue for me... but the 'rubin' on the other hand, this is as red as I can get it. the underside of the leaves are a deep red, but the tops are what you see... any ideas? and my ludwigia arcuata will only get to an orange/rust color

#14 · (Edited)
I have found that the more light the redder the leaves and the leaves that do not get that much light stay greenish.

This is ludwiga repens (think that is what it is called) in 29 gallon high with two full length 6500k flourescent bulbs.

It grew like weeds with no co2 just 2 gallon weekly water change.

There is some jave fern here and there.

Attachments

#17 ·

Ludwigia sp. 'Red' on the left, Ludwigia 'Rubin' on the right. The Red took about 2 weeks to turn that color while the Rubin has only been in the tank for 2 weeks and only has orange under the leaves. It's still growing though, about an inch every few days. The tank has DIY CO2 and daily Metricide-14 dosing, EI dosing, and MGOCPM capped with Seachem Black Sand. The light is a 27 watt daylight desk lamp positioned 3 inches above the water timed for 6 hours with a 4 hour blackout then back on for another 5.

#20 ·
while on the topic, I feel like sp. atlantis should also be discussed with these two
sure, price wise there is a big difference now, but appearance wise and size wise and all I think these three sp. are very similar.

#22 ·
here are two shots of it

the yellowish red repens is with low co2, low nitrate, low phosphate frm when i got first started

the bigger leafed bubbly ludiwiga is not red becuase i have it far away from the lights, but it has less co2 deficiency.. the curved leaf is still a good co2 deficiency sign

Attachments

#31 ·
I believe the Rubin is simply a well cared for Repens......
Nope. 'Rubin' has leaves that are opposite, sub-opposite or alternate. L. repens has leaves that are always opposite. The former is probably a hybrid between something like repens and an alternate-leaved plant.

Therefore, the sp. Red and Rubins actually are the same plant.
Very different. The 'red' is probably L. palustris; much smaller, always red.

#34 ·
Two year old thread is two years old

And growing conditions wouldn't really be affecting the pattern of leaf growth, it might affect the color and size of the leaf itself but not the placement of the leafs

#35 ·
They are not the same plant, super red is Palustris and Rubin is repens, both although similar in looks are genetically different. I have both in the same tank under intense light and CO2 and both red, the difference is in the leaves shape: super red is much rounder and smaller, on the other hand repens wither its rubin, atlantis or green the leaves are much larger. super red grows faster, rubin is slower than super red but is medium speed for a stem plant. rubin will have diffrent shades of colors if the light is not direct at it, I have one stem that is shaded slightly by an over hanging hardscape and its leaves are yellow/red/orange and olive green. Super red the moment it saw light it turned Blood shot red. In my opinion, super red is much prettier if you want just red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.