The Planted Tank Forum banner

Two 45Ps build: 4 hr photoperiod aka I hate Aquasky

18K views 91 replies 33 participants last post by  Jason K 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got this swag from AFA. Already have spent a small fortune, but still need to get all the guts:

Eheim 2213s, 5 lb CO2 cylinders, GLA regulators, inline GLA diffusers, Milwaukee MC 122 controllers, Aqualogic temp controllers for cooling fans (already have this), PVC in-line probe holders, Hydor in line heaters, and hong kong lily pipes.

Hoping all of this stuff will fit into the stand...

Television Wood Flooring Shipping box Floor
Shipping box Mammal Packing materials Wood Material property

Light Picture frame Wood Display case Automotive design

See less See more
#11 ·
hmm they are both awesome iwagumi, but I guess I prefer the second one if you could tweak it a bit. Slope the substrate a lot so that the rocks are up higher, and then slope it from left to right a bit so that the main rock is higher than the secondary one. For plants you could do the perspective style where you have stems against the front glass and small plants back farther. Maybe glosso in the front fading into HC so it would look like a mountain in the distance.

But if you do go with the first layout I recommend some kind stem plant in the back, maybe bylxa as it would radiate out like the rocks.

They are both great layouts and I can't wait to see what you do with them and the nature aquarium tank. It's not often we see NA style so I am especially interested in that tank. Have fun!

#13 ·
hmm they are both awesome iwagumi, but I guess I prefer the second one if you could tweak it a bit. Slope the substrate a lot so that the rocks are up higher, and then slope it from left to right a bit so that the main rock is higher than the secondary one.

Thanks for the input...yes, kinda hard to envision final scape without substrate, but I agree with the sloping concept.

And thanks for the plant recs, definite possibilites.

#12 ·
Kind of hard to judge since it's rock vs dwiftwood. I'd say your wood is fine but your rock needs work. Your pictures could also be a bit closer.

Do you have experience with pH controllers? I never liked mine is why I'm asking you. I'm trying to move away from using it completely.

#20 ·
Thanks for all the input. My ladyfriend prefers the vertical layout, so that may win...or not. I just wish I had a few more smaller stones to play around with. May need to order another 5lbs?

Substrate is AS Amazonia powder. Maybe a few root tabs thrown in.

#21 ·
All the hardware is finally in, and most everything is set up. A couple of disappointments, however. First, one of the ph controllers is defective (see the pH readout in pic!). Second, I simply had too much stuff to squeeze into these little cabinets, so the co2 cylinders have to sit besides the cabinet, which puts a damper on achieving a 'clean' look.

Once I sort out the pH controller issue, on to plants!

Electrical wiring Electricity Gas Electrical supply Cable
Gas Plumbing Electrical wiring Cylinder Machine

#27 ·
ph controller issue resolved. Milwaukee Instruments has great customer service!

Anyhow, on to plants. On the iwagumi, I think I want to go all hairgrass. Belem or parvula up front, and vivipara in the back. Unfortunately, I can't find any of these anywhere, including the 'for sale/trade' forum. Anyone have any ideas?

#30 ·
Planted and flooded! Pulled an all nighter to get these suckers planted, flooded, and running. It's been three days, one water change under my belt, and so far so good. Most plants look in good shape and are pearling some, expect for the glosso and the stargrass...sure they'll come around soon.

Going with EI dosing on both tanks, liquid dosing with graduated pipettes, using my own KH2PO4 and KNO3 solutions, and Flourish. Using Equilibrium and Alkaline Buffer to set GH and KH. 'Wood' tank will be shrimp tank- GH 4, KH 2, pH 6.4, temp 74. 'Stone' tank will be cardinal tetra tank- GH 2, KH 2, pH 6.6 (higher due to Ryuoh stone?), temp 75.

Vertebrate Interior design Plant Glass Rectangle
Plant Vertebrate Wood Organism Pet supply
Rectangle Plant Grass Wood Output device

Flora in 'wood' tank is supposed to be:
Glosso
Hemianthus Micrathemoides(looks like Micranthemum Umbrosum)
Crypt Wendtii Green
Heteranthera Zosterfolia
Cyperus Helferi
Ludwigia Arcuata (looks like some other kind of Ludwigia?)
Anchor Moss

Flora in 'stone' tank is:
HC
Eleocharis acicularis

Unless it's an emersed form issue, I don't think I was sent the right baby tears. Not as sure about the Ludwigia, but suspicious...thanks aquariumplants.com.

M. Umbrosum?
Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Wood Flower

Anybody know what Ludwigia this would be?
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Wood Terrestrial animal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.