The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help New lights and Boom!!! Algae

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Intelik808 
#1 ·
I just Received my 2 ray2 24" DD on friday and over the weekend algae is growing like crazy. my question is what steps should i take to get my tank back in balance Co2, ferts, photo period etc.

on a side note my plants are pearling like crazy i mean they used to pearl before but now its like i have a air pump installed. and i kinda hate it...

my tank info is in my profile.

thanks in advance

ALoha!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Normally I'd recommend increasing the co2 but noticed you have intolerant shrimp in the tank. Growth is triggered by light so cutting back the photo period or breaking up the period into two parts may help. Cutting back on phosphates when dosing might help a bit.
Seems like you don't have sufficient plant density to take advantage of the light intensity. Adding some fast growers or floaters would help your plants outcompete for nutrients with algae...

#4 ·
How deep is the tank? If you still have the ability you could return it for a Fugeray - still a lot of light compared to tubes.

You could also raise the light or cut it down with a strip of window screen. The endcaps of both way models come off (2 little screws) and the clear plastic splash shield slides out. Cut some fiberglass window screen to lay on that shield ( a little smaller than the plastic) and slide everything back in with the screen on the inside)

#8 ·
You have 2 Ray II's on a 60p. You are going to have algae problems. For a lower CO2/moss and shrimp tank a Fugeray would be good on a 60p. If you can turn up the CO2, a singular Ray II is good. I'm not sure what possessed you to run two of them?

Step one - Remove one of the Ray II's.
Step two - switch to a 5-6 hour photoperiod while you get stuff under control
Step three - You have a lot of BBA which points to low or inconsistent CO2. With two Ray II's, no wonder though. Slowly get that drop checker at least lime green and make sure the CO2 comes on before the lights.
Step four - Remove as much of the BBA as you can by hand. Aggressively trim affected leaves and mosses. Plenty of guides in the algae section on what to do further with it.

Personally? I would return the Ray II's and get a Fugeray. You simply have an astronomical amount of light for your goals.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies. So I took off one of the ray2s and now only using one of them. Did notice that the algae came to a halt now I just gotta clean it all out. As for why I got two I was thinking it was like the ecoxotic fresh water module where one didn't really cover the tank front to back evenly so two should do the trick. Lesson learned though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.