The Planted Tank Forum banner

New SE Asian 40g breeder

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  jaidexl 
#1 ·
This is my new 40 gallon breeder size tank. Planted and filled this weekend. I'll be adding a lot more plants over the next week or so and I'll post updates as they're available.

I'm still trying to narrow down the stock list but it will be mainly SE Asian.

See less See more
#3 ·
tank looks good. only comment would be to loose the zip ties and go for something consealable. like glue or nails or staples to hold them together other then that I wish i had that drift wood for my tank:drool:

#4 ·
Thanks. I'm not really trying to go for a specific region. The tank will be stocked mainly with crypts although there will be a few american plants thrown in. So with 90% crypts and 90% asian fish species I think it's close enough to call SE asian. Guess i could call is SE asian-ish. I plan to include a nice size school of Harlequin Rasbora and hopefully checker barbs if I can locate them. Still deciding on the other species.

Regarding the zip ties. They aren't exactly attractive but they're only temporary. Once the wood is waterlogged they'll be removed. Until then I can live with it.

#7 ·
I like the tank, I like the hardscape, and I like the planned plants :icon_mrgr

Just one opinion though, I think it might be better for water circulation if you move the spray bar to the left side. This way the water will move from left to right, then bounce back and get sucked back by the filter. IME, this provides better circulation/less dead spots.

#10 ·
36x18x16 what perfect dimensions for a planted tank.
your plecos are going to be in heaven with that wood.
BTW if you replace all the tie wraps with velcro tape,
they will hold just as tight, the black will hide better,
and later you can easily unstrap and adjust the wood.

#11 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the velcro tape. Had I known it existed I would have gone that route. The largest pieces of wood are screwed to slate tiles so the ties are only holding down the smaller pieces. Hopefully it won't take them too long to become waterlogged.

I'll be picking up some Echindorus tenellus this evening that I bought from another board member and I have some HC and HM on the way as well. Other than those, the rest of the plants will be crypts.

Anyone have a suggestion for a tall plant for the back right corner???

#12 ·
Looks good, very natural. Well, except for the zip ties but nothing you can really do about that for a while :)

What kind of wood is that, manzanita?

I'd keep the foreground as just sand. Low maintenance, and it will look good with your setup. Put a few bushes of plants in the background (I'm thinking H. zosterifolia), and you have a darn good looking tank on your hands.

#13 ·
Great setup, I like those roots a lot !

Anyone have a suggestion for a tall plant for the back right corner???
What about Vallisneria americana v. 'Biwaensis' (Corkscrew Val) ?

Cheers

#15 ·
Thanks for the compliments. The wood is manzanita purchased from Manzanita Burlworks. The plan is to leave the front mostly open with some forground plants on either side. I'm torn between corys or botia striata right now but either will like the sand I'm sure. Thanks for the suggestion re: the H. zosterifolia. I like the looks of it and I think it will give me the overall look I'm going for too.

#17 ·
I've posted a request in the swap n shop forum for a few plants. I think I want to try the stargrass mrbelvedere suggested on one side of the tank and some asian ambulia on the other side just to see which one does better in my tank. I'm also looking for some C.affinis, C. balansae and some java moss.

#21 ·
Overfloater: The sand isn't quite as bright as it looks in the photo. Once all the plants are in and filled out I'm sure it will look better too.

I've finalized the plants list.
Currently in tank:
Crypt. wendtii 'bronze' (in the pic on the right) plus more on the way
Crypt. wendtii 'red' (in the pic on the left)

Going to add:
Crypt. parva, Crypt. undulata, Crypt. wendtii 'Mi Oya', Crypt. wendii 'Green Gecko', Crypt. crispulata var. balansae, HC, HM, Java fern and Java moss, Heteranthera zosterifolia, and Limnophila sessiliflora.

The balansae will be planted in the right side of the tank. the H. zosterifolia and Asian ambulia (if i can get some) will be on the left. The rest I'll decide once the plants are delivered.

I've also 'settled' on the fish too. The quantities can be adjusted if anyone thinks I have too many/not enough of any species.
7-9 corydoras
3-4 otos
15+/- Rasbora heteromorpha (maybe more?)
9+/- Checker barbs or 5 banded barbs
Gourami species???
Glass catfish???
Small pleco???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.