The Planted Tank Forum banner

Black stringy algae?

923 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Colorblizzle 
#1 ·
Just took this picture noticed it for a few days now but it's getting longer and stretching towards the light. Is this black hair that you see in the picture a type of algae? And if so how do I get rid of it and what causes it? Lack or excess of something?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I have a 10g with finnex fugeray giving me 50 PAR AND A MARINELAND HIDDEN LED on the front adding 25 PAR to that.
Wow, that is too much lighting for a 10 gallon aquarium.

You will need to be injecting CO2 as well as dosing fertilizers to keep up with the demands of the plants.

Do you have a larger picture as well? Your algae looks like Staghorn, but it is a little too small for me to make out clearly.

#6 ·
I took a larger picture but it made me compress it just to post it. I also have brown diatoms on my plant leaves. I originally had only the finnex but the plant guy at my LFS told me with just that light is be limited to anubias and crypts. So I got the extra lighting for the front because I wanted to do more medium to high light plants. I only leave my lights on 8 hours a day and I dose NPK trace and iron weekly and halfway thru the week I dose trace iron and potassium again. I'm told most water doesn't have enough potassium in it and I don't dose nitrogen much because I don't perform water changes often and the nitrates are at about 20ppm. If I do add CO2 I know it's an expensive route in the long run but I'm looking at the fluval mini 20g kit. I have no money to spend on it right now so a $30 kit is the best I can do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.