The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluval Ebi - African Biotype

11K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  Payara 
#1 ·
I been gone for a while, but I'm back :)

Specs:
Aquarium: Fluval Ebi
Lighting: Current 32W PC
Heating: Hydor Theo Heater (50W)
Filtration: Eheim 2211
Substrate: Fluval Shrimp Stratum substrate, Silver sand, & river pebbles
Plants: Anubias barteri, Anubias barteri var. nana, Bolbitis heudelotii, Vesicularia dubyana, Microsorum pteropus, and Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
Fish:
1:1 Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Nigeria Red'???

What do you all think? Ill be posting pics shortly.

Also if any of you guys have any anubias barteri var. available for sale (or for free :)) let me know

-kG

#5 ·
LOL. Patience is a virtue my friend. I just finished taking pics and I'll be posting pics of the setup and equipment today.

I have one still in the box. I am waiting on collecting all the items that I need before I start it up. One question, why didn't you use the light and filter that came with it?

-Don
Smart move. I feel like I'll have a higher bioload than the filter can handle plus the filter takes up limited and valuable tank space. The light is something I had sitting here from my other African tank so I thought I might as well use it.

I'd like to see pictures too :) Subscribing.
I am interested in how much current the Eheim 2211 creates in an EBI.
The LFS has 2211 running in their Ebi and looks real clean. I got it for 69 bucks.

#8 ·
Personally I don't think it's a waste of money. With 32W running 8 hrs a day there's a lot more than 100mL of evaporation, plus I have a job that requires traveling on the weekends (Fri-Sun). ATO system would safe guard drastic evaporation. To be honest, I never asked what you thought of me getting an ATO but thanks for your input.

Anyways, a buddy @ the LFS told me about this site, they carry ATO for nano tanks for $45. Probably invest in it next week.

Pics:

2211 set up:

Layout?

Productive criticism is welcomed.:)

#12 ·
I know you didn't ask but I thought I would share my thoughts and opinions on it. Isn't that what this forum is for? Topoffs would have to be the easiest part of maintenance. Also if you topped off on friday and came back on monday you probably wouldnt have more then an inch of evaporation.

Are you planning on using CO2 at all?

And I would remove the little clay cave thing unless you can hide it with moss or plants. It looks very un natural.
I apologize for being rude. YouR last post rubbed me the wrong way. The reason I wanted a ATO is previously when I had a 9 gallon tank, before it cracked, I used the same lighting but used a 2213 for filtration. One weekend I was gone from Friday and came back early morning Monday. Over 2 to 3" evaporated and the filter was shooting the water out of the tank. I came in just in time to correct the problem, otherwise, I would had a tank with no water. I just didn't want that happening, granted I am using a smaller filter than previously. I guess it's a safe measure, let's me sleep easier at night.

I was not planning on using CO2. I wasn't planning on using such demanding plants. Why? You think I need CO2? Frequent water changes (2-3 a week) and supplement Excel was the plan. The clay pot is hidden under rocks and sand now. Can't see it at all. I'll post update pics after the bubbles and water clear up. Once again I'm sorry for snapping at you bro.

-Koshy G.

tell ya the truth dude, I dunno if that auto top off.is really needed I am running 2 4g nanos both with eheim 2211s, and open top with LED, I only add water about twice a week and its usually only about 8-12oz I keep a gallon jug of water next to the stand and its pretty easy. I think if you top off before the weekend you will be fine, but thats just my opinion.
Thanks for the thought bro. Before I buy the ATO I'm gonna run a trail and see how much evaporation occurs during the weekend. Like I said earlier it's just for safe measure.

My wife uses a Tunza osmolator for top off. She hasn't had any problems with it.

I've also seen people using gravity feed top offs for small tanks. You might want to do a search.

You may also be able to get away with something diy with a float switch and a toms micro-lifter for a small tank.

Also, vesicularia and microsorum are not proper plants for african biotope as they are from SE asia.

http://www.tropica.com/plants/origin/africa.aspx has a list of commonly used african plants if you want to be accurate to at least the continent.

Addendum: Didn't realize the size of tank. Might be a little tight for kribs. If your male and female decide to not hit it off, there might be trouble. Make sure you keep an eye on them.

If you are not overly tied to a planted tank, a mated pair of Tanganyika Shell dwellers might be more suitable for that tank. You can make an interesting hardscape, throw in a couple shells and they should be fine.

-Charlie
Thank you for the link Charlie...very helpful. I'll be removing the Java fern as soon as I get enough Anubias. I was hoping to get some paired off kribs. In my old tank, a 9 gallon, i had a pair who mated and were guarding eggs, the male never harassed the female. The paired off naturally and I guess they had a strong bond. I was hoping I could get a pair who formed naturally in a large group. I might just do African killies instead. I'm having a hard time finding Nigerian reds.

UPDATE:

Filled the tank.
Filter up and running.
Got a 2 Microsynodontis sp. & 1 small Marbled Cameroon shrimp - all are in QT

Posting pics soon.

-Koshy George

#15 ·
One weekend I was gone from Friday and came back early morning Monday. Over 2 to 3" evaporated and the filter was shooting the water out of the tank. I came in just in time to correct the problem, otherwise, I would had a tank with no water. I just didn't want that happening, granted I am using a smaller filter than previously. I guess it's a safe measure, let's me sleep easier at night.
Not sure I follow. If properly set up why would evaporation cause water to be sprayed out of the tank?

From what I've heard about ATO's I'd be more concerned about them flooding your house. Not that they can't be done right, but it's more complicated to set up correctly than a power filter.

Got a 2 Microsynodontis sp. & 1 small Marbled Cameroon shrimp - all are in QT

Posting pics soon.

-Koshy George
Awesome! Synodontis are one of my favorites and I didn't know there was a smaller species of them. How big do they get?

I googled "Marbled Cameroon shrimp" and came up with nothing. Any links?

Good luck with the tank!

#10 ·
tell ya the truth dude, I dunno if that auto top off.is really needed I am running 2 4g nanos both with eheim 2211s, and open top with LED, I only add water about twice a week and its usually only about 8-12oz I keep a gallon jug of water next to the stand and its pretty easy. I think if you top off before the weekend you will be fine, but thats just my opinion.

#11 · (Edited)
My wife uses a Tunze osmolator for top off. She hasn't had any problems with it.

I've also seen people using gravity feed top offs for small tanks. You might want to do a search.

You may also be able to get away with something diy with a float switch and a toms micro-lifter for a small tank.

Also, vesicularia and microsorum are not proper plants for african biotope as they are from SE asia.

http://www.tropica.com/plants/origin/africa.aspx has a list of commonly used african plants if you want to be accurate to at least the continent.

Addendum: Didn't realize the size of tank. Might be a little tight for kribs. If your male and female decide to not hit it off, there might be trouble. Make sure you keep an eye on them.

If you are not overly tied to a planted tank, a mated pair of Tanganyika Shell dwellers might be more suitable for that tank. You can make an interesting hardscape, throw in a couple shells and they should be fine.

-Charlie

#14 ·
Thanks Wolf.

I just noticed my shrimp just molted. He is bright red right now, I always thought they were a white color after the process until their exoskeleton hardens. Any thoughts?

More pics:

Final layout without black background:

This picture was taken right after all the plants were placed and water topped off:

FTS:

Water flow from the 2211:

I'll be removing the Java Fern very soon and adding several Anubias in its place.

#22 · (Edited)
Wanted a more natural look to it. In my old tank I used AuaSoil Amazonia and it wasn't too my liking. Originally I wanted to use ADA Congo Substrate but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I decided to go with silver sand and natural pebbles.

#23 ·
Pics:
Here's a few pics of my shrimp from a few days ago after his molt...

Profile view...

You can also see some sort of fungus growing on the driftwood.

Update:

The shrimp has seemed to have vanished in the past 2 days. I can't find him anywhere. I think he jumped/crawled out. I am working on getting the lid cut so I can place it on top of the tank. I added a small pump in the back of the tank to add more circulation. The surface wasn't being agitated enough so a protein film was forming on top of the tank. Will not be keeping any sort of cave spawners so I also took out the cave in the corner. I removed the Java fern and changed the placement of the African fern. Algae has started to grow on the rocks and glass. The two catfish are still in the QT, they are doing great, seems very healthy and eating like champs. I noticed some trumpet snails in the tank. This weekend I'll be buying few more plants. I want to stock my tank with Anubias barteri var. nana (I'll be getting 10-13 plants this weekend), Crinum calamistratum, Nymphaea lotus, and Nesaea pedicellata. I am deciding on what type of ferts I should use, any recommendations on brand, dosage, etc.?

#24 ·
It's been a while since I did an update. So far I added 6 Nymphaea loctus, a few pieces of Amazon Frogbit, Red Root Floater (yes I know these plants aren't from W. Africa), and 10 Anubias barteri var. nana, which I got from mgamer20o0 (THANKS). I added 7 Aplocheilichthys normani (Norman's Lampeye), and I am still waiting on a trio of killifish. I just added the nana so the water is a lil cloudy from the maintance and planiting. I'll post some pics this weekend.

Thinking of adding a CO2 to the system...

#25 ·
PICS:
These pics were taken a month or so ago. I've added few more plants and the tigher lotus have grown. But here some pics I've been holding out on.

FTS:

FTS w/ a weeks growth:

Right side:

Top half:

Surface:

#30 ·
The tank looks really nice. I like the arrangement of plants and driftwood. I'm thinking of re-scaping a portion of my tank and am enjoying looking at other's work!

For the killifish, IME a lot of them are jumpers and need a full lid (not even an open space at the back). They are a fun, colorful fish to keep if you can. Did you fully stock yet?

#31 ·
Thanks.

Yeah I am not getting any killifish. I tried my hand in lampeyes, just to to see if they would jump before I got a more expensive killifish, all but 1 jumped out. The water is perfect, I think it's the sudden on and off of the lights, I even putt in floating plants, no luck. Good thing is they did breed for me and I have 6 babies. I'm going raise them to a lil bigger and then see if anyone wants them to enjoy in covered tank.

I'm at a loss at what to get right now...

#32 ·
Here some updated pics from last night:

FTS:

Bottom half:

Top half:

I also got some unknown growth in my emersed java moss. Let me know if anyone knows what it is:

I'm getting rid of the 2211 because of insufficient and unreliable flow rates. I added a 2213 to my tank and have turned down the flow of it. I have decided to get a African Leaf Fish as my main display fish. Opinions and comments are welcomed.

#34 ·
Your tank looks awesome. Love the lotus and the arrangement of all the plants and driftwood. Have you thought of getting a piece of Plexiglas cut for the top, something that can be cut around where the wood comes out to keep it somewhat covered. Just trying to be helpful :)

#38 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I really love the tiger lotus too. I tried cutting my own Plexiglas but I always managed to crack it during the cutting process. I even looked at getting the lid it came with custom cut at a glass shop but they said it would cost more the tank itself. I added a lot more flating plants to deter fish from jumping out. But I gt to wait and see if that's gonna work.

looks like mystery plant might be a crypt.
Thanks Newman!

The tank looks really good, the plants seem to have taken off well in there. Have you been adding anything to help the growth or is this just the tank running its course?
I change the water twice a week and add Flourish and Excel once a week. I just bought a Paintball CO2 regulator from a member on this site and got dry ferts from GLA. So in a few days I'll change over to that.

What about adding some micro rasboras? I've never had them jump before, and all my tanks I've ever kept have been open tops.
I initially thought about keeping rasboras but I couldn't think of any African species. Now I figured I'd get a African Leaf Fish, and anything else in that tank becomes a meal for him/her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.