The Planted Tank Forum banner

Easy & Somewhat effective CO2 diffusion method?

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  eeng168 
#1 ·
So my Hagen Elite Mini broke today, and I don't have anything to diffuse my DIY CO2 with. My tank is only 7.5 Gallons, so any type of powerhead will be too big or will overcirculate the tank. Right now I'm feeding the CO2 line into the intake tube of my HOB filter, which I know isn't very efficient, but it's only temporary, and that's all I have right now. So, what's the best way to diffuse CO2 that takes up the least amount of space and when you're short on supplies? If I have to purchase something, I'd like it to be $20 maximum. Thanks guys.

#3 ·
so far i like chopsticks the best

#12 ·
holes in tube, didn't work with a pin... tried it.

make sure to use the chopstick end that is ANGLED or sharpen the chopstick like a pencil.

#14 ·
You could use an air pump. I would just add a check valve between the pump and connection. Also instead of sponge filter chopsticks or an air stone could be used. Also saw someone useing the plastic ends of Lee's Discard-A-Stones Aquarium Airstones to make the hose tight in the cap. Found this googling for DIY Co2

#16 ·
before i got my ceramic diffuser i used a mini elite and a cigarette filter inside it in the end of the co2 line. when my elite broke i just put the co2 line with the cigarette filter and it still kept acceptable levels of co2. For some reason i couldn't find chopsticks and stumbled into the info on the net and it worked awesome. on some of my smaller 10g setups i only use the cigarette filter... works great IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.