The Planted Tank Forum banner

Worse than rabbits!

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  theshadybird 
#1 ·
Kept three zebra danio in this 2 gal for not even a week a little while back.

Was peeking in there today, trying to look for the shrimp I put in there, when instead I found this little bugger!

A single little fry! The parents are danio that I accidentally bred and purposefully raised myself, so I know just how easily they procreate, but this goes too far!

Anyway, her/his name is Squiggly and they'll live in this tank until they're much bigger.

But seriously man. 2 gallons of water for maybe 5 days, largely un-heated until just a day or two ago.

Anyone else have some crazy spawning stories? :)

See less See more
#4 ·
Did you set it up with water from the old tank? If you used new and unheated water, it could be what triggered spawning in this case.

#8 ·
Did you set it up with water from the old tank? If you used new and unheated water, it could be what triggered spawning in this case.
I used half old half new, but it was definitely colder than their regular. Definitely something I'll remember next time!

Rabbits can be a huge pain to breed, they don't 'breed like rabbits' at all.
'They breed like Platy!' Should be the new saying.
Hahaha, that might just be my new "obscenely prolific breeding" phrase.

Danios do have a lot of energy, and when they're not being jerks to each other, they're really fun to watch. They are just REALLY HARD TO CATCH, which has led to the unfortunate demise of a few in my care ^^;.
You gotta admire their breeding capabilities though ^^. They're the first fish I bred, albeit unintentionally, and they were pretty darn easy to take care of.

#9 · (Edited)
Last count: 8. Pretty sure I'm just seeing them as they move from wall hanger stage to free swimming. Who knows how many more have hatched! There are enough now that I've started giving them Hikari First Bites fry food maybe once or twice a day. Growing fast, the little piglets!

#13 ·
Gah, i forgot how fast they grow! Then again, these are getting a crap ton of infusoria which is something my first batch didn't get much of, so it figures they're getting so big so fast. That first fry is twice as long as all the others, and is already a good centimeter long!
I'm thinking I know what my first ROAK is going to be ^^.

#15 ·
hahaha, yup! I was wondering if anyone would look close enough to spot him XD That one was so blurry and indistinct I was on the fence about pointing it out :]
Might get some new pictures up again; they're swimming at all levels now, not just at the surface. Let's see if I can document these buggers entire childhoods, eh? lol :3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.