The Planted Tank Forum banner

Brooklyn Aquarium Society 10/12

18K views 218 replies 28 participants last post by  furnfins 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to this. I don't actually need anything, but at the last Big Auction they had repashy and Yourfishstuff vendors and I stocked up on food. Cheap. Besides, I'll be downtown that evening anyway, so I might as well.

Of course if you want to take bets that I come home with something that swims or scuttles, I can't blame you.

I'm no acitydweller, but I figured I'd see if anyone was interested and then, if so, if they want to swap anything.[STRIKE] I have work earlier that day, so I probably won't be bringing livestock, but I can do plants.[/STRIKE]I'm taking off that day, so let me know if you want;

Baby albino bristlenose plecos,
H. formosa fry (I don't have a jillion anymore, but I can spare a few)
Assassin snails
Other snails, the kind that breed out of control if you let them
Watersprite
Java moss
Java fernlets
Various floaters
I have other plants but I either forgot or never knew what they were called, one of these days I should have one of you plant experts over to ID them for me.

I forgot to mention that these auctions usually have awesome deals on tanks. Savvy buyers are used to paying a dollar a gallon on craigslist or Petco, but I've seen tanks with wooden stands and hoods go for less than that at these auctions.

For the sake of full disclosure, it is a trek to get there. There is free parking though, for those of you who drive.

Attachments

See less See more
#59 ·
Aww I remember having a pet mantid for the longest time (almost a year) until she laid her eggs and sadly passed on. I re-attached the eggs in my backyard and left it. Never did see any babies after that though :(.

Anybody know where I could find/catch mantids? I would love to have another, I LOVE BUGS!!!

#64 ·
You can find mantids in your backyard. Most of the time they will be Tenodera sinensis. You can keep them in captivity but they only live about a year from hatching. Maybe a little bit longer. Here's some I spotted in my garden during the warmer parts of the year.

Also, when did this thread become a discussion on bugs?

#65 ·
Monsterfish you're very lucky to see them. Years ago you'd see them all the time on the streets in trees. I haven't seen one in at least 5 years.
I've had grasshoppers in my potted garden and that's about it, along with
some huge spiders that make beautiful webs. I think they're beautiful creatures.

#68 ·
I've always find at least one oothecia in my backyard somewhere. You can always buy the egg cases from a garden center during early Spring and reintroduce them where you live. I haven't seen any grasshoppers around in a long time. Same with katydids.

#66 ·
Is any one taking training that maybe can accompany me after the meeting? LOL I am scare to take train so late at night around Coney Island. I really want to go but I am afraid that the meeting will take too long. Let me know if anyone of you do.

#75 ·
Where in brooklyn do you live? If you are on the way back to queens, i might be able to give you a lift. i probably wont be staying for the entire auction, but time sort of flies once the auctions start so you never know. I think we laughed and had more fun during the auction than the presentation at the last meet. :)

I was soooo happy to win Java fern for $5... glad i didn't cave for the jumbo water lettuce auction.

#89 ·
I think a good deterrent against crime can be one of lunacy. For example, if you decided to go barefoot and wear your jacket inside out on the f train, chances are people will stay away from you. Also muttering some klingon war cries might drive the point home.

#90 · (Edited)
Can I get a confirmation of who wants to go to the aquarium this friday at 3? Im no good with arranging things so I have no idea what you guys want to do from 5-7:30. Ahem. I dont really intend on this being a big trading meet, but we can oggle over the fish we see :) Its donation day, I went last week and paid $1. I recommend getting there on time at 3, I got there at 3:30 and barely finished looking at everything.

Me
Albert
Meowkitty
Mista B
Cprash
Sonic

#94 ·
Can I get a confirmation of who wants to go to the aquarium this friday at 3? Im no good with arranging things so I have no idea what you guys want to do from 5-7:30. Ahem.
I will be there early. My daughter wants to hit Coney Island for rides and funnel cake. And the beach is there, so you'll find stuff to do.

I can offer one seat to carpool down from the east side of Manhattan, but like I said, we will be there early, 4pmish. One way only. I can't guarantee a ride back, sadly. PM me if you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.