The Planted Tank Forum banner

hygrophila corymbosa

12K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  @marko@ 
#1 ·
anyone have experience with this species (or any variations of this species)? from what i read about this on various websites, it does not sound like a true aquatic speces. not to mention, i think i saw this in petco's collection...which makes me further wonder whether this can even survive in water indefinitely.

#11 ·
Definitely aquatic. The H. corymbosa sold at Petco is in the emersed form. It should convert to submergent growth after a few weeks.
Someone on another website warned that this plant after several weeks will start to die underwater. And then when I saw it at petco (knowing how petco always sells non-aquatic plants) then I really became curious whether this plant would survive in water. BTW, the one at petco has much darker and smaller leaves....looking nothing like these pics.

#4 ·
It grows massive though, which I like since I think its one of the bigger stem plants out there.
I have one small stem, that I think is the compact form. I really want the non-compact full leafed forms though, since I think they look great as a background plant. Just a giant, massive bush.

#8 ·
OVT, do you sell any of your corymbosa ever? And what makes the one you have so red, is it just high lighting and it being hi up, or is it growing low and that red at the same time?

#13 ·
High light and more light and then some more light.
And yes, I used to sell a lot until I almost depleted my 'inventory'.

The last picture is of Hygrophilia corymbosa, the rest are of Hygro Corymbosa 'Siamensis'. I also keep 'Kompakt' and Angustifolia.

Regular H. corymbosa easily gets x2 the size of 'Siamensis', all the way up to the top of a 24" tank. It's happy to go emergent and at one time I kept 1/2 of the same plant in and 1/2 out of the water. Emergent, it blooms constantly with small flowers that make quiet a mess. IME 'Siamensis' and 'Kompakt' are about the same in size. I keep one 'Siamensis' in a 12g long at ~5" and very bushy - just have to trim it every couple of weeks or so.

#9 ·
its great plant. i started with two small stems, now 8 months later i have about 20 stems through propagation. its a heavey feeder, but as you saw in the photos above when healthy it is a super vibrant plant. it doesn't show to well in OVTs photos, but on mine the veins in the leaves are white. its super pretty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.