The Planted Tank Forum banner

Argh my plants

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  zzrguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I got some plants from Acitydweller {Thank Albert} and put them in the tank and it looked great. Then some of the leaves on the Ludwigia inclinata started falling off then the Water Wisteria started getting holes in it and now my Cryptocoryne wendtii is losing leaves.

The water parameters are 0,0,3

I'm dosing NPK but had stopped the Phosphate to see if I could kill off the brown algae and that had not happen.

I just shoved in some more root tabs and started dosing all the NPKs again and some Micros too.

What might be causing this?

#5 ·
I've try to dose every other day but had stop the phosphorus but started again with the phosphorus again last week I'll also take out the phosph Zorb.

The crytp have been in there for over a month the ludwigia about two weeks the WW month and a half.

#6 ·
The problem could be cause by fluxuations in your fert levels. You shouldn't start ferts or co2, then stop, then start again. It's a gateway to algae and health issues for your plants. I use the Pferts and in honesty, the directions are more geared for high light with co2. I dose the NPK every Monday and trace every wednesday. I do my water changes at 40-50% once a month or so and top off water once a week, on Mondays followed by the NPK. I'm also only running about 1.8wpg of t8 on my tanks. Keep it steady, don't overdose and be patient.

#7 ·
Im thinking i have a light issue the plant thats floating is red and happy looking all the planted plants are losing they leave. I need to do a WC its been a week and a half. The tanis seems to come and go some time it come right after a WC and other it starts to show its brown head a week or two later. I do not have many fish in the tank so the bio load is light 10 otos 1 dwarf, 2 cichlid,1 loache.

#10 ·
i assume ferts arent an issue since ur dosing NPK+Traces? IF so, its CO2. Also, i have noticed that some plants get hit by diatoms worse than others. On my hydrocytle, the diatoms cannot be wiped off and the leaves start dying. That led to me think its something else, but on my rotala it can easily be wiped off. I know my issue is CO2 since its definitely not ferts.

#13 ·
use root tabs sparingly otherwise they run the possibility of burning your plants. i use no root tabs and use pfertz macro/micro's every other day. None of the plants other than the red ludwigia (which needs fe) require ferts but the quality of light is important. Ludwigia will tend to stunt and start to melt if heavily shaded.

Water Wister is a plant of paradoxes. it can live and spread under the worst conditions but have delicate and sensative leaves. Ive kept these guys smothered in a quart container full of plants without any holes burning through it.

Crypts generally melt by shift in water params so im not going to touch on this but im guessing you might see the plants getting too much ferts at the root level. Just a wild guess since we dont know the dosage, planting proximity or type used so its just a guess. you'll certainly see an improvement with a water change.

#14 ·
Well it looks like light is the issue the plants that are floating are red and healthy looking and the planted plants look like the end will come soon if i don't correct the pro lem.
I have been a little unhappy with the light and the glass cover so I took the glass cover off but the water is evaporating pretty quickly.

I need to find a co2 drop tester but can the co2 beening low cause these problens. I'm going to start dosing API CO2 Booster on Monday as per the direction. Diatom has return pretty bad and one of my Anubis has some black. algae on it.

My Bolbitis heteraclita has died and root away in like three day. The wisteria is growing fine and the hygro is looking good. The green greko is losing aleaf here and there but not badly.
Should I add and other light or send the coin on a CO2setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.