The Planted Tank Forum banner

Lfs

5K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  BettaBoy 
#1 ·
Are there any good fish stores in CT? The few LFS ive been too are bad in selection and quality compared to Petco or Petsmart for both fish and plants. Any suggestions as to where to go.

#4 ·
FINS?
Where exactly is this store in Greenwich, I'd be interested myself in checking this place out.
I live 5 min from Greenwich and I thought I knew all the good LFS around here. :)
BTW, while in town you might want to check the Pet Pantry Warehouse, just two - three blocks away from the train station.
Their fish selection is ok but a little expensive IMO.
Their plant selection really sucks though, javas and anubias mostly, all covered in algae btw. :icon_frow
They have a 6 gal, planted tank set up with Carbo plus as the way of injecting CO2 ( this is suppose to show you the wonders of Carbo plus I'd guess ). Man, if you really want to see how big black brush algae can get in a tank, check it out.
OK, that"s enough of mouth trashing my favorite LFS. :tongue:
If you're ever in the area come and take a look.

#6 ·
purrfect pets. Milford CT
On the Post Rd.
Nice selection of fish and plants.

No algae, clean tanks, nice folks.

Prices are great.

#7 ·
Magic Pet Shop is a mom and pop store in Wethersfield on the Silas Deane Hwy. Very small, but very healthy selection of fish, and low prices on tanks/stands/etc. Never had a casualty from them.

One place to avoid is Exotic Fin and Feathers in East Hartford. The place is big, with a nice selection, but they overcharge, and their fish are really not very healthy.

#14 ·
I've been to Magic Pet Shop before and I really didn't like the place at all. They had puppies and birds in the back and there were flies all over them. The price on some fish was pretty decent. I recommend Aquatic Wildlife in Manchester if you're looking for exotic fish.

#11 ·
I wasn't too impressed by purrfect pets. Petco and petsmart have nice selections, but their fish are usually unhealthy and not properly cared for (I always find tanks with dead fish). Pet pantry warehouse is Ok I guess, I used to shop there quite often.
The place I love to shop at, although it is a little expensive, is Aquatic Wildlife in Manchester. It has an awesome selection of plants and fish, and you can special order anything you want off course.
House of Fins in Greenwich seems like a really nice shop. I'll have to check it out for sure! Another excellent shop there is Greenwich Aquaria. They have mostly saltwater tanks, but do have a large selection of FW plants. Not too many fish, but all in excellent condition.

#17 ·
I like Greenwich Aquaria - nice selection of plants and hard-to-find tropicals, shrimp, and other planted tank stuffs. Every Sunday they have a 15% off livestock sale. Pretty cool. I swear they should charge admission just to look at some of their tanks, lol.

Purrfect Pets in Milford is also very nice, they have fair prices for a locally-owned store, an interesting selection of fish at times, a friendly staff, and they carry Hans (Stendker) discus. :) I have to like a store that sells young discus, lol. They're also willing to order stuff on request if you really want something.

#18 ·
Mistakenly posted a link and when I hit preview, was informed that I could not post a link (new member), and my entire very lengthy post disappeared. :icon_frow

Okay, start again....

Waterbury Aquarium is one of my favorite lfs. The owner has been in the fish business a long time and has a wide assortment of fish, both tropical and salt. Small assortment of plants but they appear healthy.

PetsMart (Waterbury) has a good selection of fish and they are usually healthy. Staff not knowledgeable so do your research first. No aquatic plants although they label them as such.

PetCo (Waterbury) has horrible fish tanks, few species, and no plants. Always many dead fish. We will only purchase equipment here.

Choice Pet Supply (Bethel/Danbury) is another favorite for fish. Not a huge selection but the fish are very healthy and the staff is knowledgeable. Small plant selection. They can place any order you need. Shipments arrive on Tuesdays.

A month ago, I got my killifish and some plants at an auction in Cromwell, CT. The auction was sponsored by the Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies. From there, was invited to the breeder's home and he gave me more killies and more plants. Next auction is scheduled in March.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.