The Planted Tank Forum banner

Victorian Restoration

29K views 119 replies 42 participants last post by  davrx 
#1 ·
I found this aquarium and stand at an antique store in Cincinnati back in Nov. It was complete except for the four eagle finials that were originally on each top corner of the tank and the four plant holders that were originally on each corner of the stand. Even so, aquariums from the Victorian era are exceedingly rare. This is a cast iron tank made by the C.F. Klepper Co. of Covington, Kentucky with a patent date of 2/21/1882. So it never made it far from where it was originally made around 130 years ago. It was most likely originally black and was repainted green at some point in its life. It also sustained damage to one of the aquarium corners, the top iron rectangle, and a couple spots on the base. I don't know if it was knocked over, thrown, who knows. It was welded back together with what looks like bronze so it was most likely repaired long ago. The bottom of the aquarium had some kind of black material which was supposed to keep the bottom from rusting out but it had failed at some point since there was rust on the bottom. Normally I would have siliconed a piece of glass on the bottom like what is done with slate bottomed tanks but this bottom extends a couple of inches below the bottom of the glass sides apparently to hide the substrate. I liked this idea so decided to try a different approach. I had the bottom sandblasted down to the bare metal and did a little research on the net and found an epoxy product that is fish safe. I applied several layers of this to seal the metal from contact with water. I also repainted the tank as it had several rusted areas. I removed the glass which was single thickness and dismantled the tank. I ordered some stainless steel threaded rods, ss lock nuts, and ss cap nuts. The tank would have originally had these but they probably rusted away long ago. The corners had the remnants of the original sealant which had turned to petrified black rock. I chiseled this all out and had them sandblasted as well. The tank is now ready for glass and some eagle finials I just ordered.
This is the photo the antique store had of it:

Here's the before photos:

Here's the after:

Here's the underside showing the makers mark and patent date:

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm going to make it into a planted tank with fish, etc. just like any other tank. I'd like to get some black angelfish because I can't keep them in my other tank since they'll eat any fish that will fit in their mouth and I have endlers as well as other small fish.

#9 ·
Thanks, by the way I love your fish. I'm going to see what you have when the weather is better this spring and place another order. My first order from you had zero casualties and everything looked good and was healthy.

#13 ·
Extremely cool fond. I think you should do some research and the initially set-up should be historically accurate as to what plants & fish were keep in the hobby back then.

I know C. Becketti was on a of the 1st Crypts keep in the hobby. If that fits your time-line I'd offer to donate one if you choose to do an historically correct 'scape.

#18 ·
Well since it wasn't the original finish I felt no harm done. I needed to protect it from further rusting, to not do so would have eventually led to it becoming a pile of rust. The only original paint still on this is the bottom of the tank which is a matte black color. Not very attractive.

#20 ·
Some of the Jewel tanks of the 1920's were reproduced but didn't sell well, they were more expensive than the originals! I have seen some reproductions of the Fiske octagonal tabletop tanks as well but not as many of them. I think if they reproduced one like this that they'd have the same problem, too expensive for most people and they wouldn't make enough money to cover their expenses.

#24 ·
Update

The tank is ready for a leak test. New 1/4" Starfire glass has been installed with black silicone and brass eagle finials are where the originals would have been.

This last photo is of another cast iron tank from the same era as mine showing the same color/finial scheme:

#27 ·
Water and Stand Tests

Well, the aquarium passed the water test, no leaks and the stand didn't collapse when I filled the tank so it looks like next step is to get it set up for plants and later fish. I'm testing it in my basement in case it collapses. My Victorian terrarium fits perfectly on the stand too. First time this tank will have been used as an aquarium in who knows how long. Nice that I can still use it 130 years after it was made. Wonder how many tank/stand combos will still be useable in 2142?

#29 ·
Wow that is another awesome vintage tank you have there. I wish I had the chance to see one of these in person. What is the date of that terrarium that you have there? It looks really nice all restored and where did you find the finials at?

#33 ·
Wow, I have the exact same aquarium. My wife purchased it several years ago at an antiques fair. We don't remember what was paid for it. Is there any idea of what the value of one of these would be? Ours is in pretty good shape and if I remember correctly, it weighs about as much as a small automobile:hihi: We would really like to know a value as we might be interested in selling it.

#34 ·
Up and Running

I finally got all the plumbing hooked up and have it running with plants, fish soon.
Here's what I have:
Fluval G3
Turbo Twist 3X UV Sterilizer
Hydor ETH 200W 5/8" inline heater
Atomic CO2 inline diffuser
Aqua Inspiration Stainless Steel surface skimmer and output.
MTS capped with Azoo Plant Grower Bed
200W Lotus CFL 6500K light
Two large sandstones
Nautilus Submarine
CO2 tank, regulator, etc. to be added in a couple of days

I added the Nautilus since 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was written in 1873 and the aquarium was made around 1882 so I thought they kind of went together.
This ABS plastic model was not easy to come by. I had to wedge its edge under the rock as it floats otherwise.
Here's photos I took earlier today:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.