The Planted Tank Forum banner

attaching moss with super glue?

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  monkeygills 
#1 ·
I think I saw this done in a thread on a tank set up but I can't seem to find it again. Does this work? I have a large odd shaped piece of driftwood I want to attach moss and I don't think thread would work. My next thought was to drill some small holes and use doweling to hold some mesh down over the moss. Any ideas or comments.
Thanks Dawn

#2 ·
The moss that has glue directly on it won't live, and it might be rather messy, but I bet it would work well enough. Superglue is aquarium safe - I used to use it to glue coral frags on rocks at my old job. Even just squirting it underwater works.

For tricky pieces of driftwood I've also used a staple gun. Before too long the staples rust over and you can't even see them - and so far I've done it in LOTS of tanks and never seen a problem.

#4 ·
Thanks Lori!

You can also get the really long staples and use a non-electric gun so the staple doesn't go in all the way, and then slide rhyzomes and roots under it - works great for anubias or java fern :) Just tap it in firmly afterwards, being careful not to crush the rhyzome.

#9 ·
I have tried it with riccia and it will not work becasue the riccia in contact with the glue dies, and the rest floats to the top. I bet it would work with moss though since dead moss isn't as delacate as dead riccia that just turns to mush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.