The Planted Tank Forum banner

Bryan-College Station plants

8K views 49 replies 7 participants last post by  JasterMake 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to trade or give away plants. If you are in the BCS area send me a message.
I'm looking for plants or shrimp. I lost most of my shrimp in November and want to start over.
I have:

Gobs of Dwarf Sag.
Moneywort
Pennywort
Cambomba
Mini Xmas moss I think
Huge 20+ inch sword( I want to get rid of this )
And a few others: see picture

See less See more
#2 ·
Just swapped some plants with this guy... I'm also up for swapping for more plants that I don't have. Come on people let's trade some plants locally!!

Here's my tank:

#3 ·
I have hygrophila poly. and brown that is growing out of control. I'm trimming soon so anyone local can pm me if interested. Im still looking for snails and shrimp but will give this stuff away if you really want some. I also have a few stems of everything else I listed earlier.

Organism Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Pet supply Freshwater aquarium

Thanks Roshan, I also want to get things going locally. Hopefully I can find a shrimper in BCS..

#6 ·
Thank you sir! I'll post some pics when I get around to planting them. They're gonna have to float for a day or two, which shouldnt be a problem. I just actually threw out some swords that had been floating in my tank for about 2 months, and they were still alive.

Any more planted tank folks in the B/CS area on here? I used to know 2-3 but you're the only one left I'm aquainted with

#8 ·
What are you looking for? I have some vals, wisteria, rotala indica, sunset hygro, and possibly some red tiger lotus. We could swap like last time, just need to work out a day. PM me

#10 ·
Lol. My tank is looking pretty sad at the moment. Lost all my stems and even the wisteria and hygrophillas melted.

On the bright side Some of the leafless twigs that I left planted started to put out buds and a few other pants have started looking really good. It's going to take another month or two to recover.

#14 ·
I think ADG (Aquarium Design Group) in houston may have some. They have some seriously nice tanks but it's a serious drive for you lol. I would call and make sure, but would be a fun stop to make next time you are in houston

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Lol well I just sold off like 90% of my corals this weekend and tore the tank apart. I redid the aquascape and am restocking with purely acropora corals and a handful of other select keepers. I'll post some pics from when it was happy

That is from when I ran metal halides. Everything grew so well and had such vibrancy. Then with a combination of switching to LEDs, poorly acclimating corals, and contaminating the water with bad food I killed off most the good stuff. It was heart breaking. I have since then rebounded, gone to T5HO lighting, cleared the rocks off and am starting over. Wanting to run a calcium reactor this time around. Here was the tank Saturday night

And here was the tank Sunday morning. All empty now. Like a blank canvas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Drew here from Waco Area!,

JasterMake, Sorry I don't have any plants to help you with at the moment! I actually have a 55g with Swords growing everywhere, Sunset Hygro, Bacopa Carolina, and a few different crypts, BUT it has a BAD CASE of Clado algae that I have been fighting for a year+ now, and I don't wish that crap on anyone! I have tried removing plants and dipping them in everything recommended to kill Hitchhikers on plants, and nothing has worked yet to keep from spreading to another tank! I am wanting to keep most of the plants and tare the tank down, kill and clean off all of the algae and redo the tank, but I have found nothing to kill off even the spores of algae on plants that seem not to have any signs of growing algae on them! When I would try dipping them and then growing them out in a clean experiment tank the plant would break out with Clado within a few days no matter what I tried, unless it was a plant from a different tank! So as soon as my fish are able to go to the LFS for credit I am going to tare it down and start from scratch! I HAVE to move the tank from where it is anyway ASAP, so if I can catch Petco's dollar per gallon sale I will get a 40B and use the 55g equipment on the 40B So I can have a tank with some depth to get a better landscape going! Or if I can find a 75g on Craig's list I would do that too!

Anyway does B/CS have any Planted Tank Fish Stores? There used to be one pretty good one down past the mall on the right, but it has been closde for a long time! They had good Salt water too, but I haven't done s/w for 15+ years! Got too expensive!

Well good luck on the new plants in your setup! I am in B/CS every so often as my Sister and her Family live there. So when I have some good plants maybe we can do some swappin' then!

Bpb, Man that reef had some AWESOME CORALS in it!!!! I TOTALLY understand that sick feeling you get when it comes to loosing salt water life! I once lost over $1,000 worth of Fish from a bad Ich outbreak! I was working 12 hour shifts, and my wife was feeding my tank for me, but didn't know anything about fish at that time! I wasn't home when the lights were on for a 6 day period, but on the 7th day I got up and made Breakfast, sat down and was watching TV, and when the lights came on I almost lost everything I just ate!!! All the fish were covered in Ich BAD!! My 8"+ Male Lunar Rass was on his side with his head beside the wooden air stone, The 6"+ Harlequin Tusk Fish was behind the Live rocks on the sand Gasping, etc.... I lost every fish in the tank within 24hrs!!! So I understand what you are feeling! BUT you have got it under control now, and it should only get better from here!!! I have heard that T5s are MUCH better for Corals than LEDs so they should be much happier now!!!

Well Fellow Texan's Have a Great Weekend and Happy Mother's Day to all you Moms out there this Sunday!!!
Drew

#25 · (Edited)
Drew here from Waco Area!,

JasterMake, Sorry I don't have any plants to help you with at the moment! I actually have a 55g with Swords growing everywhere, Sunset Hygro, Bacopa Carolina, and a few different crypts, BUT it has a BAD CASE of Clado algae that I have been fighting for a year+ now, and I don't wish that crap on anyone! I have tried removing plants and dipping them in everything recommended to kill Hitchhikers on plants, and nothing has worked yet to keep from spreading to another tank! I am wanting to keep most of the plants and tare the tank down, kill and clean off all of the algae and redo the tank, but I have found nothing to kill off even the spores of algae on plants that seem not to have any signs of growing algae on them! When I would try dipping them and then growing them out in a clean experiment tank the plant would break out with Clado within a few days no matter what I tried, unless it was a plant from a different tank! So as soon as my fish are able to go to the LFS for credit I am going to tare it down and start from scratch! I HAVE to move the tank from where it is anyway ASAP, so if I can catch Petco's dollar per gallon sale I will get a 40B and use the 55g equipment on the 40B So I can have a tank with some depth to get a better landscape going! Or if I can find a 75g on Craig's list I would do that too!

Anyway does B/CS have any Planted Tank Fish Stores? There used to be one pretty good one down past the mall on the right, but it has been closde for a long time! They had good Salt water too, but I haven't done s/w for 15+ years! Got too expensive!

Well good luck on the new plants in your setup! I am in B/CS every so often as my Sister and her Family live there. So when I have some good plants maybe we can do some swappin' then!

Sure thing. Let me know next time you come down. A got some clippings from a few locals and am back up and running. Most of the twigs that survived have sprouted new leaves and I should have plenty of trimmings in a month. As far as LFS with plants the only thing we have is Petco and Petsmart. Recently our Petco has had some nice plants but they also have a tank full of half eaten swords and Anubis. You have to get lucky. I just got this last week. I forgot what it was?
It's the 2 red plants.
Edit: found the receipt, it's ludwigia peruensis

#24 ·
Good to hear from you drew. I think I saw you on our local aquarium forum for b/cs if I'm not mistaken. Cladophora in the planted tank is annoying. I've been dealing with it myself as well. Forms thick mats on the substrate. Ever so often I'll pull them all out. Gets very tedious. I've not found a good solution. Consistence co2 and excel dosing seems to slow it some. Peroxide treatments did nothing

Yeah man I'm lucky the the fish in my reef tank have all been healthy. I've only ever purchased from a store a couple times. My fish usually come from other people's tanks. There are a few more I'd like to have but I'm paranoid about introducing something with a parasite. Losing corals is truely a nightmare. If a Zoa frag doesn't thrive here or there I can handle that. No big deal. But when it's fist sized acropora colony, or a serving platter sized montipora colony that took 4 years to grow suddenly dies, it makes you really just want to quit!

As far as lighting goes. I've only ever had t5ho over my planted tank. It's worked and never had any reason to switch. For the saltwater tank I've had T5HO, Metal Halides, LEDs, and just about every combination of the 3 you can imagine, as well as each one alone, and my personal experience has been that my tank is the healthiest under pure T5HO for the most part. Strictly speaking of SPS type corals. Zoas and fleshy LPS seemed to grow best under metal halides and all slow down noticeably under t5ho, but my game is SPS and those clearly do better under t5ho for me than any other light source or combination.

#26 ·
Nice Lud. peruensis! Your tank looks like it is coming back good and strong!!!

Yep we are in the same boat as yall with places to get plants with the exception of North Waco Tropical Fish, but they don't usually have very much to chose from other than a few bulb plants and sometimes some Hornwart! Sue the owner can possibly order something that's on her list if you give her a want list, but the stuff I have seen other than bunch plants come in has been grown immersed and I have never had much luck with those types of plants in a low light tank like I am setting up now! In my 55g when I was running it High light and pumping it full of Co2 I had NO Problem, but with no Co2 and low light, they have always just melted away and never came back for me! Besides that they run a central filtration system on their tanks, and I have some very HEALTHY Alvarezi Swords, and I don't want to take the risk on adding a Bacteria disease, Virus, or Parasite to these guys right now since that is the place I got my last swords that had Columnaris I couldn't get rid of after trying for over a YEAR AND A HALF!!!

So I Think I am going to get the plants I am looking for from people here, or maybe take a trip to Austin where I can buy plants from tanks I can see that there are healthy fish and plants or from people here I can trust, and still dip treat the plants to be 100% sure I am not introducing a foreign substance into the tank!!!

Do you have a Journal on your tank in the pics above? If not you ought to start one so we can check it out!

I will actually be in College Station next weekend, but I won't have my own vehicle ( I will be Driving my Mom and Dad!), but I will try to check out yall's PetSmart/PetCo as it looks like Yall's carries better plants than ours! I have never seen anything other than the usual swords, crypts,anubias, and bunch plants and Petco here, and Elodia, or Hornwart at Petsmart in Waco!

Anyway Hope your tank continues to keep getting better and better for ya, as it is looking good now!!!

Take Care!!!
Drew

#30 ·
Thanks Guys!!!

Well I wound up being SICK today, so I was unable to come back down when I was going to be able to have some time to look around!!! But I should be around in a few weeks for another Graduation, so maybe then!

I did score 2 Young Betta Rubra tank breed pairs from a guy in Arlington though!!! I will be picking them up Monday or Tuesday, and I can't wait!!! I will post some Pics when I get them settled in their tank!

Thanks for the link to your tank Jake! I'll check it out!!!

Yall Take Care!!!
Drew

#33 ·
I need to check that ad out. I may have something they want. I have duck weed, jungle Val, Java fern, Anubias, and a few other I forgot what they were.

But currently most of my plants look a little sad. Ran out of CO2 again. I keep forgetting to pick some up.

#34 ·
Get that gas replaced! Lol. I tend to forget to check how full mine is and when it runs out it's usually a "why does everything look so awful with no pearling for a couple days now?" Situation. Oh. Duh. Co2 empty. I basically stopped doing water changes entirely and just dose potassium, iron, and micros once every 2-3 weeks maybe. Never looked better

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.