The Planted Tank Forum banner

Critique the photo above you...

82K views 692 replies 159 participants last post by  D.Rodgers 
#1 ·
This is a spinoff off the Just Photos thread and I figured with the new threads for Nikon and Canon fans, as well as the threads constantly popping up asking how shooting better photos, it would be nice to have a thread to have your photos critiqued. There are some excellent photographers here including some pros, so perhaps if this thread gets rolling, we can get some good tips and tricks and critiques.

Here's the ground rules:

1. Don't be rude. Giver your opinion and offer some advise but don't be ignorant about it. If a picture is not good, say why but don't just say something like "This shot sucks."

2. Don't just post "Nice shot." Expand, say why you think it's nice, or not nice. Offer some advice on how to make it better, including shot setup, camera settings, post processing tips, ect.

3. If you comment on a shot, post up a shot of your own.

4. This is a critique thread. Don't get butt hurt if someone doesn't like your photo.

5. Doesn't have to be fish related but of course it needs to fall within what is acceptable for this site.

6. Lets not turn this into a Brand N vs. Brand C war. Really, there is no need to even post the make of the camera you are using however some info that would be useful would be the lens and camera settings. If you know them, post them. It can really help others help you.

7. Don't post your perfect shots all the time. This isn't an ego stroking thread. This is meant to possibly help shoot better photos. Maybe you have some shots that just aren't working. Post them up and see what help you might get to help improve them.

That's all I can think of. Hopefully this will take off and become a somewhat useful tool for people looking to get a little better at photography. Of course this isn't a photo site, but since people still seek help here and there are good photographers, why not. I would still encourage people to seek out some photography based sites though to get the most help and even check out some instructional books. Get one that is based on your camera and there are numerous books related to the different aspects of photography.

See less See more
#558 ·
Looks good, but she is super white. Perhaps you could have used a warmer tint? The white bar in the back is also kinda distracting.

Wildflowers in Israel. Unedited.

#560 ·
I'm back from Israel! It was good while I was there. Had a wonderful time.

(Psst, your supposed to put up your own photo)

#567 ·
Thanks, yeah I don't remember on the last one if that was the card (light spots) or it was from my speedlite. I just got it and was fooling around with it.

O.K. great shot of the dirty/old soccer ball with the dogs. I can continue you that, I have the sheepdog shot above and here's a really beat up soccer ball.

#570 ·
That is a super cool photo. I would love to see that many otos actually school, and they must keep your glass very clean. The photo is a bit dark, but I think if you had bumped the ISO any more it would have become too grainy.

Canon T3i, 1/80, ƒ 5.6, ISO 400

On this photo I would really appreciate critiques because I have been working with it in photoshop and I feel like it still needs something. I adjusted the color a bit but mostly added highlights and blurred the background. The left side isn't very important as I need to crop it to have it fit in the frame. It looks dark but if you click the full image bar it isn't. Thanks!

#571 ·
Needs some pop. I played with it a little, not sure mine is any better...

Before

After

Ok...well...as it would seem, when this shot is larger, it looks much better. All cramped up it ruins it. I have it open in LR and it looks really good. On here, not so much. I will say, I love the shot, the small size just doesn't do it any justice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.