The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ely's Tropical Fish

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  jerrytheplater 
#1 ·
I have been to all the major fish stores in the area (Absolutely Fish, Fish Shack, FishtownUSA, Hoboken, Pacific Reef (NYC) - I was driving past this one shop in Florham park and always wanted to check it out.

I went in there, and the tanks were a little dirty (outside) and I went by and he has a really nice collection! I went into the back room and found some rare fish (i only see these on aquabid)

He told me that majority of them are captive raised. (That is huge! - its always better to get them from captivity)

I do recommend this place, I was in awe with the hillstream loach.

#9 ·
George Fear from Shark Aquarium regularly speaks at NJAS and often shows underwater video's from South America. He also goes fairly frequently to SA and leads trips there. Don't remember the prices, but if you want to do any collecting in SA with an experianced guide, he is the one to take you.

On YouTube look at Fishfromvenezuala channel. This person is a friend of George and they've gone on trips together.

#10 ·
I'm going to have to check these places out at some point. I've been lucky enough to find everything I need at reasonable prices in my area, but I always like to check out new spots. I was hunting for assassin snails yesterday. I had trouble finding them, but checked out Rt 4 Aquarium for the first time. Nice selection, good prices. I called Absolutely Fish for the snails and, unfortunately, they had sold the last one. Their price.....$5.99!! Whoa!! I ended up in a little spot in (or near) Hackensack called Reef Encounter. Decent little spot. Nothing sectacular, but they do usually have some oddball items at good prices. They had japonica shrimp (forgot the price) and some red cherries ($3.99 each). I got my assassin snails there for $1.99! I also picked up a few plants for good prices.

Reef Encounter is worth checking out IF you are in the area. I wouldn't go way out of the way though. Their saltwater section is bigger than their freshwater section.

#11 ·
Saturday, I went to Shark Aquarium with my roommate. It was very hard to find and needed to take multiple loops around.

Eventually found the place, and they have a nice selection. Sad, I couldn't find Rams.

I ended up picking up about 10 rummynose, and two odd ball Loaches that I once had. These were more mature then the ones I had (bigger and fatter). They were my favorite fish around March->June. I didn't have a proper tank for them, because they like a high flow tank.

I am excited to add these buggers back to my tank.

I used to live down the Street from Reef Encounter. My impression of the place is really bad. A lot of dead fish, or sickly fish. The place was very dirty. I found myself going to Fish Hut, Absolutely Fish, and Fish Town (even though the place was down the street)

anything I was looking for Reef Encounter did not have. - Maybe at the time they did not, and I have been to places not so impressed and came back and was like WOW! they have those!

Well, Hoboken Fish Emporium - was the store I was referring too. But since they lost all their fish due to the power outage. I probably will not return for another month or two. They didn't even have clown loaches, rummynose, cardinals. - so I was not impressed.

I should have gone to Fish Hut this past weekend (they had a blowout sale) that I forgot about. *SAD FACE*

#12 ·
I should have gone to Fish Hut this past weekend (they had a blowout sale) that I forgot about. *SAD FACE*
the Fish Hut just posted this on their FB page today. I am sure their selection may limited now.

We are extending this huge blowout sale until Wednesday night this week. 30% off all fish and 25% off all dry goods. We are out to help everyone restock there tanks from Sandy. Take advantage of this huge sale.

#13 ·
I agree with you about Reef Encounter.....I just pop in there every once in awhile because they have some things you can't find anywhere else. Believe it or not, the couple times I've been in there, no dead fish. It does give the vibe of a not so nice place, but I can deal with that if they have assassin snails for a good price (and are healthy, of course).

If you are still looking for rams, Fish Hut had a bunch, different varieties, and they were priced to sell. It may be worth checking them out with this sale. If only my tanks weren't fully stocked.....

#14 ·
George Fear will be speaking this Thursday night at the NJAS meeting in Nutley http://njas.net/

November 15th, 2012

Speaker: George Fear

Subject: "Underwater Photography in South America"

Nutley American Legion Hall
45 Franklin Ave, Nutley, NJ

Our meetings will begin promptly at 7:45pm every 3rd Thursday of each month (except August - Picnic; December - Holiday Party).

Directions:

From the Parkway North
Take 150 Belleville / Bloomfield / Hoover Ave
Take the ramp off the exit and make a right.
Take that road (Hoover Ave) and when you get to the end of that road make a right onto Joralemon Ave.
Take Joralemon Ave down and make a left onto Franklin Ave.
The American Legion is a few blocks down on the left.

From the Parkway South
Take exit 153 - RT 3 East / Lincoln Tunnel
Take Rt 3 East to 7 Passaic Ave / Nutley / Passaic
Make a Left off of the exit onto Ward Ave
Then a Right onto Ruth Ave which turns into Franklin Ave
Stay straight on that road. You will go down about 2 miles down the road you will see the American Legion on the right.

From Rt 3 East
Take Rt 3 East to 7 Passaic Ave / Nutley / Passaic
Make a Left off of the exit onto Ward Ave
Then a Right onto Ruth Ave which turns into Franklin Ave
Stay straight on that road. You will go down about 2 miles down the road you will see the American Legion on the right.
NJ Turnpike and Rt 17 South your would take the Rt 3 West Directions

From Rt 3 West
Take Rt 3 West to 7 Passaic Ave / Nutley / Passaic
Make a Left off of the exit onto Passaic Ave
You come to a fork in the road and will need to bear Left onto Kingsland Street
Make a Right onto Franklin Ave
You will go down about 2 miles down the road you will see the American Legion on the right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.