The Planted Tank Forum banner

Berried CPO!

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  ravensgate 
#1 ·
I've had crap luck with my shrimp lately so I was OVER THE MOON to see a TON of eggs on one of my CPOs! happy happy joy joy! WOOT!

#10 ·
I haven't thought that far ahead. LOL! At this point I need to work on more hiding places. I think I will buy a bunch of fake plastic plants so as not to invite any new bacteria into the tank. Gonna need more cholla log and PVC. My main goal is to get her to have them. I don't know if they go through the same thing as shrimp and potentially drop them or die from stress. And I'm having stinky luck right now.

#13 ·
Be sure to move the momma to a separate tank as soon as you can. There's less chance of her dropping eggs if you do it early. They will take a few weeks to hatch, then will piggyback on momma for a bit before they drop off. They're TINY when they do this, and immediately become snacks if you don't relocate momma again and have an all baby tank. Plus, the mom likes to hide when she's berried and won't come out as readily for food, so if she's in her own tank it becomes much easier to spot feed her. I put my preggers moms in a 1g hex tank, so they don't need a lot of room. Heavily plant the baby tank so they have a hard time finding each other, and feed every few days so they never have trouble finding food. I've had a few babies survive in my main tank, but yields are greatly improved if you move the mom before they hatch. If you have any shrimp pellets or a similar high protein food I recommend feeding that to mom, mine seems to like it better when she's expecting

#15 ·
Might have to do this cause I don't have a spare tank ready or that will be ready in time rather. Would a breeder net work? Cause that I have on hand. There are only 5 CPOs in a 10 gallon with tons of hidey holes, moss, and IAL leaves. I'm going to have even more in there before she hatches. Would love to avoid moving her around if I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.