The Planted Tank Forum banner

redsea's 20g Long Build

4K views 36 replies 5 participants last post by  redsea 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new here, and I just got a 20g tonight at Petco's Dollar Per Gallon Sale!

I am going for a simple planted tank for this one. :)

For lighting I am thinking about Ecoexotic's Planted Tank Module. As for substrate, I am going to be using Eco Complete.

That is all for now! :)

#6 ·
I didn't mention this in my first post, so I figured I would mention it now. :)

I would like to have a tank in which there is no CO2 supplementation or the addition of fertilizers, but I don't know if I can keep anything with that set up? Would the Eco-Complete and PWCs be enough?

Thanks everybody for stopping by my thread!

#7 ·
For a low light planted tank application, i think the Ecoxotic fixtures might be overkill. Without the addition of co2 and faster growing plants, you'll end up with a lot of algae. The Ecoxotic might work if it's suspended real high. Measure the distance from light source to substrate to get the PAR value between 10 to 30 for a low light / low tech setup.

Reference this
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160396
as your guide to get the right estimated PAR.

For a low light tank, the Finnex Fugeray would probably suffice and not cost much.

#9 · (Edited)
Which Ecoxotic lighting are you looking at? Well a 20L is 30" x 12" x 12".. taking into consideration 2 to 3 inches of substrate, you'll have to suspend the light like 10" above the tank.

According to this:
Ecoxotic Panorama Freshwater Module
PAR Data(Source) PAR Vs. Distance from source
161 PAR @ surface (3" through air)
101 PAR @ 7"
60 PAR @ 12"
36 PAR @ 18"​

#10 ·
Also.. if you're going for the Ecoxotic stunner strip, the PAR data is based on 4 strips.. so perhaps if you divide the PAR based on 2 strips, that might work... I just looked at those fixtures closer on the Marine Depot site, the Panorama is only 13" so with the stunner, you have either 24" or 36"... Which would you get for a 30" long tank? I should have asked this earlier and looked at the size of these fixtures... my bad.

Again, Finnex Fugeray is 30" and would fit this tank perfectly. Unless you're thinking ahead I'm case you want to expand into high light is why you're fixated on the Ecoxotic?

***From link:
Ecoxotic Stunner Strip
PAR Data(Source) PAR vs. Distance from source
105 PAR @ surface (3" through air)
86 PAR @ 7"
71 PAR @ 12"
59 PAR @ 15"
49 PAR @ 18"
Notes: Please note that the above reading is for a 4 strip array. I don't know why the testers did this since it gives us no real basis on which to judge this fixture. Good catch Erica.​

#19 ·
Again, Finnex Fugeray is 30" and would fit this tank perfectly. Unless you're thinking ahead I'm case you want to expand into high light is why you're fixated on the Ecoxotic?
Sorry, I didn't answer this yet!

I really like the ecoxotic because I don't think it contains mercury, and on the site it says it is water resistant. I just like having that piece of mind, considering I am a paranoid person to begin with! LOL.

#15 ·
They definitely need ferts. I would have said most definitely for co2 as well, but Rivercats on AA has proven that moderate to high light plants can thrive with using Excel or other liquid carbon supplement like glutaraldehyde (AKA: "Glut"). Glut is the same as Excel but 2.5 times the concentration. So you'd either have to dilute it or dose less, following the Excel's dosing instructions. Glut costs significantly less than Excel. I bought some Metricide 14 that is Glut on Amazon. Compare prices you'll see what i mean. However, in my medium to high light tanks, i have two on pressurized co2 systems and 1 on DIY CO2.

Rivercats is very helpful if you want to go the non-co2 route and just dose Glut or Excel. Check out her 220g TOTM build... PM her too if you'd like.

#16 ·
The cypts and swords are low light. Java Fern, Mosses, and Anubias are low light tolerant as well. The Telanthera i believe it's moderate lighting. E. parvula DHG is high light. You can either make changes to the plants you're keeping or adjust your build with higher lighting to satisfy their needs, but prepare to use either Glut or co2... Or else your plants won't do well and algae will bloom like crazy.

#17 ·
Got it, thank you.

I think I am going to adjust my plant list for no supplements or CO2. From what I understand, medium to high light plants need CO2 and fertilizers, so I will be looking at some low light options. :)

You have been a huge help, thanks!

#20 ·
Unlike CFL's and florescent lighting, LED's don't have mercury. So this would apply to the Finnex Fugeray and Ecoxotic. The Fugeray has a splash guard to protect the LED's from water too. IMO, with the criteria you mentioned (eg. Low light, low maintenance, etc.) the 30" FugeRay would fit your 20g-L perfectly without having to suspend the light or bother with co2. Just keep low to moderate light tolerant plants and you'll be good. Dose with Flourish Comprehensive and Excel as directed and you'll have a nice low tech planted tank.

#24 ·
Hi everybody! Long time with no update!

Here is the plan:
-I have a Finnex Fugeray light
-I am going to be dosing Seachem Flourish Comprehensive (weekly sounds right, right? I can't remember )
-I will be stocking plants like Green Crypts, Green Horemanii Sword, Bacopa, and Teleanthera

-For filter media, I am thinking filter floss (can I get that a Petco/Petsmart?), but I am not entirely sure yet what else I want in there, LOL.

That is all for right now, thanks for reading.

#28 ·
Thank you very much, I really appreciate the compliment. :)

I am going to be ambitious one of these days and propagate some of the Bacopa, as it is getting very tall. :)

I also may purchase a Betta and tank on my adventures today, we shall see.

#30 ·
I ended up getting a Halfmoon Betta and Fluval Spec Aquarium yesterday! I will be setting that up today for the Betta fish. I should be getting a German Blue Ram sometime this week.......

Thanks for asking, I will put pictures up of the Betta and tank later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.