The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ramshorns in a vase/bowl

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Newman 
#1 ·
If I took a small bowl\vase and put nothing in it but a few ramshorns, maybe an anubias or java fern on a piece of driftwood or cholla, how often would I have to do a water change (assuming feeding was kept under control)? How hardy are these guys?

#2 ·
I breed blue ramshorns in a 1g glass bowl with nothing but Java moss and occasional lettuce feedings.

I do 80% water changes once every 2-3 weeks, if I can remember to. They appear to be growing fine, no pits or flaking of their shells, and I see egg clutches all over the bowl. Have not had a single death since I put them in there. I don't think they require anything besides water and food. *shrug*

#3 ·
how large is the bowl?

you dont want to use anubias in case it affects the ramshorns negatively. i'd rather go for java fern.
they're hardy. if its a tiny vessel then i'd do daily water changes by replacing the water with water from your main fish tank. if its a larger vase around 1/2 gal - 1gal+ then just do a water change once a month or something. in the beginning you'll want to do one more frequently than that though. once it establishes, you can get away with less.

#4 ·
snails are pretty unkillable. i have a few in my tank i just set up that is cycling with aquasoil with ammonia and nitrite of 2-3 ppm and i think a few baby snails that hitch hiked from some plants. so i wouldnt worry about the snails. just change the water out when it gets mucky i guess or if the snails start crawling to the surface of the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.