The Planted Tank Forum banner

New user from Louisville

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  lizzj 
#1 · (Edited)
New user here from Louisville. Getting back into the planted tank hobby. Looking to meet some local people into it as well.
I just setup a 20g tall tank.

#6 ·
Jake, I'm not sure when the last meeting you attended was, but they are not all about cichlids anymore. Our club also holds big auctions in the spring and summer. It's a great chance to pick up some quality fish/plants at a decent price. I have been going for a few years and the only cichlids I keep are angels, discus, and german rams. The Louisville club also has a breeders award program that you can find out about by joining this yahoo group. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LTFF/. There are only 2 cichlid classes out of the 16 classes in the breeder awards program. We have several members that are very accomplished in the breeder awards program. As Nadine pointed out, we also have a facebook page. Several of our club members also enter tanks/fish into the Ky State Fair. I am setting up 4 tanks in the fair myself for the 1st time. Everyone in the club is very friendly/knowledgeable/helpful. We hold meeting on the 2nd Sunday of every month at the Bon Air Library @7:30.
The speaker this weekend is Liz Marchio. Here is a little information about her.
Liz has been keeping fish all through childhood but never seriously until 2000. She has worked in just about every fish-specific aquarium store in Columbus, Ohio where she became intimately involved in the Columbus Area Fish Enthusiasts (CAFÉ). During that time she bred and maintained many fish taxa but most notably livebearers, cichlids (namely Apistogramma and Pelvicachromis), rainbowfish and shrimp. Her and her husband, Daniel Powell, earned B.A.P. and H.A.P. awards for their successes and have kept 200+ gallons of aquaria in suburban Columbus. Her entire list of current and previously kept fish can be found here http://dlaquatics.blogspot.com/.

She completed her degree in Zoology at Ohio State University in 2010 and is currently working on her Master’s of Science at Southeastern Louisiana University studying Ichthyology. Her project: Belonesox belizanus Phylogeography and Taxonomy [please hyperlink the project title with this link- https://sites.google.com/a/selu.edu/...nd-systematics allowed her to visit México in early 2011 and more recently, Belize.
https://www.facebook.com/events/180998492068757/
So, if you have any questions, please feel free to message me. Hope to see you there!

#9 ·
I'm not from Louisville, but will welcome a fellow Kentuckian. I'm interested in knowing more about the setups at the state fair, I was there a couple years ago and don't remember seeing any. Is there a large turnout? What types of tanks? Where are they usually displayed?
I'm full of questions, because it may be worth a trip to the fair.

#10 ·
It's always worth a trip to the fair. Here are some reasons:

• FUDGE
  • Tanks
  • Giant pumpkins
  • Cake Wrecks (that's how I affectionately refer to the cake decorating displays)

You should be able to find maps and links to the state fair mobile app here.

While you'll rarely see tanks as great as can be viewed here on the forum, they're still worth your time. The rest of the fair is also enjoyable if only for the people watching and fudge eating.

#11 ·
The tanks will be set up in the South Wing/East Hall of the fairgrounds. There were quite a few tanks last year. Not sure how many will be there this year. I entered 4 tanks and several fish. There is also a pet/dealer division. There are different divisions to enter such as planted community, fake plants, breeder divisions, saltwater divisions, and so on.
Mine aren't going to be as nice as I had hoped. I had to reseal 2 tanks and I'm a little nervous to take some of my best fish there. We set up this weekend and then don't take them back down for 2 weeks. I will go there everyday and feed/check up on them, but that is a long time without water changes. I am going to run sponge and HOB filters. I just hate stressing my fish out, but I do like to show them off!

#12 ·
I was there the first time last year, since we just moved to Louisville in June 2012 and there were quite a few tanks... Not all crazy aquascaped, but still set up nice and they showed some nice fish. I planned to enter one this year with a fellow coworker, but since she transferred to another store a few months ago, the idea got lost unfortunately.

This year we will be visiting the fair again and i am sure it will be worth it!

Good luck with your tanks Liz, hope everything goes well. If there is anything i can do to help, just let me know! I don't know if you still need other fish or anything, but i would be willing to "borrow" some if needed :)

#13 ·
Thanks Dina! I am pretty sure I should have enough fish, but thank you very much for the offer.
I really enjoyed seeing the tanks that children set up at the fair. The parents are only allowed to help put the tank on the shelf and fill it up. The kids have to do everything else themselves. Hopefully I will get to see some kids setting them up in person while I am there setting mine up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.