The Planted Tank Forum banner

Keeping discus in plant tank

12K views 56 replies 12 participants last post by  reefboy1 
#1 ·
Well now that my 265gal plant tank is stabilizing and while the tank cycles im starting to study keeping discus.

Is there anything i should be aware of in keeping discus in heavily planted tank with high tech system such as bright t5 ho lights and co2?
What about ferts such as nitrate?

I have a 120gal sump system where first 1/4 section is poret filters then mid 1/2 is 50gal space of bioballs and last section is seachem biomatrix media(enough for 400gal) and sponge and 18w uv sterilizer, then finally return pump. Also co2 reactor with ph controller at end section.

I was watching this video where this guy uses refugium ecosystem mud to filter 120gal lowtech discus tank where there is 15 adult discus in it and hundred tetras. He has only done 10 water changes in 6 years!
His fish look amazing and he never even scrapes the side or back wall of the tank for algae cleaning.

Check it out and lmk what u guys think:

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/products/freshwater/miracle-mud/miracle-mud-freshwater/

Now i kept refugium for saltwater reef tank before and it did wonders. I hardly did water change and corals thrived.

So what im thinking is to replace the huge bioballs i have with this miracle mud.

Discuspaul where r u? Now im gonna need your help.

See less See more
#42 ·
I don't see this mentioned often, so I would like to hear some thoughts on Discus in a nature aquarium style setup with Aquasoil. The plants cover the substrate or most of it and the substrate system consists of Aquasoil + Powersand + 5 elements (bacteria etc) and it (substrate) is never siphoned/vacuumed like PFS tanks.
A few examples:

So water changes are still performed, just no vacuuming. I am thinking of doing something similar to the first in a modified nature aquarium style, no CO2, low light, full substrate system and lean dosing or none at all stocked with easy plants.

What amazes me is the sweet moss growth in the first tank, most moss like cool water. I did read however recently willow moss is more heat resistant of the mosses.

#53 · (Edited)
May I suggest that you look at pictures of discus tanks to help you decide this? The vivid colors available in discus make a tank of 4-6 different kinds a completely different visual than all of one kind. I will not even bias you with my personal opinion, but the look of identical tanks with one kind versus 5 kinds is completely different. Try google images of "planted discus tanks"

ps - I noted your angelfish comment above and restrained myself mightily. But now that I am here, what is so objectionable about angels? If it has anything to do with behavior, remember that angels and discus are both larger cichlids and share behavioral characteristics.

#54 ·
i did look at the one type vs multiple kinds.
and i decided that i wont go with rainbow colors of discus all over the place but focus on two colors...blue and red. so i picked 4 blues and 4 reds with different patterns.(some solid, some turqs, snakeskins, leopard etc...)

haha tom i didnt want to offend u with my angel remarks.
just that right now in this stage in my hobby, i reallly dont wanna try angels. its more about how im attracted to discus appearance and color than angels. your altums look great and i never knew altums cost the same as discus almost.
i was thinking $10 angels at store. whats the reason for such high price?

#56 ·
... i never knew altums cost the same as discus almost.
i was thinking $10 angels at store. whats the reason for such high price?
Rarity I suspect. Altums very rarely have bred in captivity so all are imported from remote locations only a few months per year. They are closer to wild caught discus in this respect. Historically import mortality has been very high too; we are just learning how to care for these majestic animals. At least, I am.

I am looking ofrward to seeing your tank full. It will be awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.