The Planted Tank Forum banner

Post pics of your DIY stands

325K views 608 replies 274 participants last post by  rafini 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I´m preparing to build a stand for a 150g tank. I´ve got the "skeleton" planned and will build that with 2x4's and 2x6's.

I´ve been going back and forth about skinning the stand, should I use plywood, mdf, what kind of doors and how should I hinge them.

I´d very much like to see the stands that DIYers here have made, shots of doors and hinge would also be apreciated. If alot of people post pics of their stands, this might prove very useful for others that are in the same situation that I´m in.

Edit: Here is another stand-building adventure with lots of good tips and ideas. WP

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes I have been looking through the DIY section here and on other boards, Just thought I might get some good idas that I haven't found before. Especially for doors.
Since I never found a thread like this one, I decided to start one and thought it might be useful for others looking into building stands.

#6 ·
Have not built it yet so no pics but somebody on this forum gave me a great idea on doors . . . do a french cleat instead of hinges. Two things are nice about this. (1) When you want to get under there to work you just lift the whole door off and get it out of the way. (2) Do four of these across the front. It means the whole front comes off for easier access, plus four doors will look like a piece of furniture, while two big doors will look like an aquarium stand.

#7 ·
If you're planning on paint, mdf, or better yet sign board mdf can be perfect. Sign board takes paint really well.

Painted pine generally looks bad unless you fill, seal and sand reseal, and sand again.

On a stand that size, if you plan to skin with plywood, a decent veneer really doesn't cost that much more than good birch plywood.

If you aren't experienced with door hanging, consider skipping hinges or having a cabinet shop make the doors and install the hinges for you. If you are willing to let them do it in slack time, the cost won't be a bad as you might think. Learning on a huge piece of furniture you will be looking at every day isn't usually a good thing.

Don't forget to install a good power strip setup inside the stand. I like this one http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5H300-EXT-10-Outlet-Protector-15-Foot/dp/B00006BB7U Ten outlets and a fifteen foot cord.

Good luck.

#11 · (Edited)
I still have a lot of work to do. I started building a stand for my 60p about three days ago. I still have to install the “Euro Hinges”, sand it down as I apply wood filler to try and make it seamless so that the laminate (Formica) applies smoothly.

Clearly my inspiration and blueprint comes from Jason Baliban. I too ordered the laminate (Formica) from Lowe’s. Thanks Jason.

EDIT** Finally finish the stand. I decided to paint it as opposed to finishing it with formica. I'll just hold on to the formica for another project.

(Rough finished)

(Primed)

(Finished product)

#13 ·
Thanks for the replies. I defenately not experienced with doors, so I´ll look into that french cleat or having the doors built for me by professionals. Since the tank will be in my living room I´ll probably be involving professionals to please the mrs.

#16 · (Edited)
10 Gallon Stand

Here is my 10 gallon stand out of oak. The design is meant to be viewed from all sides; centrally placed in a room (not against a wall like it is at the moment). The suspended shelf houses my CO2 and filter along with various ferts and tools.

The legs are held at the base with a tension cable to counter the outward thrust.

#21 ·
some real nice stands here, this has already given me a few good ideas, thank you all, but keep them coming ;)
I´ll make sure to post mine when it´s done. Got the lumber yesterday.
How imoratand is it the the lumber is straight? I think I got very straight 2x6's for the upper frame, but the the 2x4's are not as straight.
My sisters husband is a carpenter and he told me that it was a waste of time to look fer perfectly straight lumber at the store since it would always bend a bit when you bring it home where it is hotter then at the store since i´m not buying dried wood.
Hvae you been storing your lumber at room temperature for some time before building the stands?

#22 ·
For a carpenter using a large amount of lumber on typical projects (Generally for someone else I might add), I can see where they may feel looking for straight lumber is a waste of time.

When building a stand, personally I would definitely take the time to handpick the small amount of lumber needed for the straightest you can find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.