The Planted Tank Forum banner

38 Gal Paludarium

17K views 85 replies 22 participants last post by  megamax42 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I have an account on Dendroboard but I figured since I've had this account longer it should definitely be shared here too.

The goal is a [STRIKE]Bumble Bee toad[/STRIKE], fire belly toad paludarium with small, fast breeding fish in the water portion. It will be planted in land, water and emersed conditions.

The cardboard in the pictures is in there just until some silicone dries

The destruction left behind:

I was initially gonna use the black foam for just the waterfall and against the glass on the sides, so it would be black when looked at from the side, however after seeing how little the pond foam expands I've decided to use it for just the waterfall.

Really should've been more patient with this part, got a lot of sag. For the time being it'll at least be a good base for the top layer:

See less See more
#69 ·
Found a very large shrimp in the little pool next to the waterfall the other day. I still have no idea how he got up there but he was just chilling in the baby tears. Then I moved the light to take a picture and he darted under the ledge, so this was the best picture I could get:

The vine has been doing incredibly well. I should probably get in there and do some trimming soon.

#71 ·
Earlier today I bought an Arduino board for the paludarium, a mega 2560 just like the one I have on the 5 gallon shrimp tank. My first goal is to implement a ventilation system that is switchable between an open and closed system, with some temperature/humidity sensors integrated into it. There's also an inexpensive flow sensor I've had my eye on for some time. Rather pointless for the 5 gallon, but with how the water feature works in the paludarium I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on the flow rate. Maybe programming a couple small LEDs to give me a green light for good flow, yellow for adequate, and red for poor flow; at least until I can get a LCD screen for this tank as well.

#73 ·
Gonna start breeding crickets in preparation for the toads, however I wanted to run something by you guys first.

My guess is that the local pet stores probably remove the female crickets once they're old enough to tell apart. Is it possible that the pinhead-sized crickets are young enough to have females? Or is it noticeable right away?

#84 ·
Thunderstorm lighting effects with triggered rain and fog finally implemented!

I bought a new LED light for the tank that has thunderstorm lighting features and I wanted to synchronize the rain bar and fog with it. A cheapo IR receiver was used to decode the various buttons on the remote and trigger the rain bar and fog effects, each on a slight delay after the lightning starts.

I had fun working with this effect, but there are several other dynamic modes I'm looking forward to experimenting with. In the future I plan on getting a small fan to simulate wind as well, perhaps for the rolling cloud function, or an addition to the thunderstorm function.

#86 ·
Thanks! I agree, it would be fascinating to see how a true moonlighting period and temperature fluctuations would affect breeding rates. Next project is incorporating a small fan to blow on the ivy and ripple the surface of the water when the rolling clouds function is triggered on the light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.