The Planted Tank Forum banner

Low Tech Tank Show-and-Tell (low tech can be lush, too! =)

2M views 2K replies 841 participants last post by  LidijaPN 
#1 · (Edited)
Been a while since we had a thread like this, so I thought I'd start another, since this is the way I like to share and learn from other people. :smile:

The idea in this thread is to post a picture of your low tech tank(s), explain the setup (equipment, lighting, substrate, ferts, etc) and briefly explain a few things you've learned that do or don't work with your setup.

#910 ·
Here is my 15 gallon 'Bedside" tank. =]

Its standard size, though its my first 'dirted' planted tank, so im having a bit of problems, but im blundering though it with many water changes.
[My other planted tank has only sand!]

Its Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil, sifted though a wide tank cover, and capped with half sand/half gravel. I had a hard time coming up with the final scape, so i moved plants around and some of the soil has come up in the back, but im not sure what i want to do about it.

Lighting is a bit wonky, but i try to stay to a five to six hour night/day cycle. It works because i can have it on from the timei wake up til i go to work, then when i come home i can turn the light on for another six hours, til i go to bed. [Sometimes, it stays on for nine or ten, if i fall asleep. When that happens, i give the tank a longer night period, about three more hours, then turn the light on. The tanks never complained!

As for ferts, in another tank, [which is where i stole the seeded sand from] there were osmocote tabs, which are not in this tank. ive tried pushing them all down in the sand, but theres spots i cant quite get to, or see. Other than that, i dose Flourish Comprehensive. I plan on adding iron caps/ potash/dolomite tabs and osmocote tabs, once i am finally sure this is what i want. Not sure if i should continue to dose flourish after adding the tabs, though ill jump that hurdle when i get to it! =]

For Flora:
Banana Plants
Aponogeton Bolivianus
Aponogeton Ulvaceus
Aponogeton Undulatus
Crinum Calamastratum
Pennywort
Melon plant
Marsilea Quad.
dwarf red lily
sword plant
repens x arcuata
caboma
anacharis
ambulia
rotala rundifolia
java fern
anubias
bacopa monnieri

Fauna: endler males
leasy killifish juvies
two ADF
five otos
apple snail
[soon to be adding more!]

Water Green Plant Light Pet supply

#913 ·
What kind of sand are you using?
How long has it been in use and does it get black anywhere below the surface. I ask because I love the look of white sand but apparently did not use the right kind when I tried.

I have a crypt tank also and will post a pic or two as soon as a mini cycle is complete.
Long story as to why

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#914 ·
What kind of sand are you using?
How long has it been in use and does it get black anywhere below the surface. I ask because I love the look of white sand but apparently did not use the right kind when I tried.

I have a crypt tank also and will post a pic or two as soon as a mini cycle is complete.
Long story as to why

I use play sand i bought at a local hardware store. It's hard for me to say if it will turn black or not. There is some sand mixed in with it that i had in a tank for years that is a bit of a darker and different color, but i don't think any of the new sand has changed its color. i try to stir up the sand a little bit every time i do a water change though too so the 2 are kind of blending together over time

Edit: Just realized i have a second, brackish tank ive used play sand in for years. for the most part all of that sand kept it's color, but some of it had turned ugly from where algae has died and been mixed in i think..

#915 ·
Thanks for the reply.
Here is a pic from my low tech 40 gal breeder
Aqua soil and a single tube t5HO custom from Catalina 65 k.. This tank has an Eheim 2217 with an ebo jäger heater. Inhabitants bloom mollies and some long fined stripped cories

Plant Plant community Rectangle Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant

This one is in my construction trailer
Aqua soil, hob filter, no heater, Finnex fuge led, endless, platters and mollies

Gotta love the biz card....lol

Water Plant Plant community Vertebrate Rectangle

#916 ·
Hey guys,

Just started my own low tech tank. I've got a Fluval Edge 12G and I love it.

The tank seems to be doing well.

It's still a work in progress as I'm still yet to lay down plenty more moss on the front in order to create a carpet.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome!

Ps, You can check out my journal for this tank. It's called 'My Rainforest Creek - Fluval 12g'. I've seen a few of you put a link in your signature. If someone could tell me how I can do that it'd be great!

Thanks.

Attachments

#918 ·
Hey guys, just thought I'd add another photo from the front to give you guys a better idea of the tank.

I'm going to get rid of the hairgrass at the front as it hasn't done anything at all, other than sit there and look like a really bad haircut. I'm probably going to just throw lots of moss down at the bottom and recreate a carpet, maybe Christmas moss. I have a patch of it currently on the left hand side. I am a little hesitant about doing that to be honest because I think the christmas looks so pretty that if I have loads of it, it'll take away from the beauty and you'll appreciate it less. I'd love to have HC, but that'll happen in my dreams!

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

#920 ·
I love empty space :D It saddens me when I see people who think they can't have a pretty tank without a full carpet. Show off that substrate, baby, ooh-la-la.

#927 ·
I use mostly mosses in my 18". You can check it out. They grow well. They'd look good in a wall, but idk if I can do it. It might be something to pursue for my tank actually!

#930 ·
They're well built, have high clarity glass and very sleek.

Kinda like buying an iPad over an Acer tablet.

My mosses range from fissidens to mini pellia to mini Xmas. I just let them do their thing.

I'm big on finding a good balance between lights stocking and plant types so minimal maint is achieved.

The waste becomes all the ferts I need.

#932 ·
You couldn't have put it any better. I heard in the newer tanks, the glass doesn't have that slight green tinge and its super duper clear.

I love that about mosses. However, I noticed the mosses that I have that are in shady parts tend to die off. The ones that get light seem to be doing very well. So I'll just plant a few Anubias' in the shadowy areas.

I didn't know that waste could become ferts. I remember seeing people taking their gravel vac and sucking up every bit of whatever was in the gravel, completely. I guess when you think about it, it's like cow poop, goes back as fertiliser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.