The Planted Tank Forum banner

can I use fine gravel for a planted aquarium??

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Diana 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I need some advise. I'm planning on reviving an old 10gal tank and plant it a bit heavy. My question is, would I be able to plant my tank on just fine gravel (super natural premium aquarium substrate made by carib sea) which I got from my brothers leftovers. any advise is greatly appreciated thx.

#2 ·
Hi iant,

Absolutely! When I started out I used a natural gravel that was maybe just a little larger than the Caribsea. I used DIY CO2 and fertilized with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and Seachem Excel.

#4 ·
The finer the gravel the better. I have used gravel from almost 1/2" diameter (way too big) on down to sand.
The best size seems to be 1/8" or maybe a bit larger, then on down to sand. Anything over about 1/4" is a bit too coarse.

If the used substrate has been sitting dry for a while, then there is almost no possibility of fish diseases or parasites. If it is fresh from a healthy tank, then almost no possibility of fish diseases or parasites. However, if there is any chance of transmitting a problem I would solarize the gravel:
Dampen the material, then put it in a box with a glass lid in the sun. The shallower you can spread out the substrate the better. Move the box every few hours so the sun enters it at 90 degrees. You could put an oven thermometer in there to see how hot it is getting. Even on a cold winter day, a clear sunny day, out of the wind, will be enough to sterilize the substrate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.