The Planted Tank Forum banner

Why can't my aquarium tank look like yours!!! 20L Journal

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  LudwigiaVanBeethoven 
#1 ·
I have a 20L tank... I cycled it for 2 weeks... and was being very patient... then I just went all out today because I got bored at looking at an empty tank with substrate.

Plants:
I bought a driftwood and over 15 variety of plants... 3 of which I can kind of identify. Blyxa japonica, sunset hygro, and red crypt plant... The stores did tell me what the other plant names were but I forgot from all the excitement... so I will look them up tomorrow...

Fishes:
12-cardinal tetra
8-emporer tetra
5-black skirt
20-Sakura Shrimps

I still have a bunch to learn and I think I'll learn from my mistakes... So far plants are not floating anymore, the fishes are still alive (about 4-5 hours now :bounce:) and the shrimps are moving around. Nothing bad to report yet.........

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I think it looks pretty nice! I would just work on attempting to gain some depth by putting the taller plants in the back and the shorter ones in the front.
Thanks I agree. I'll try that route once I know which plant is fast grower vs slow grower.

very nice! i like that red plant in the middle (showing my plant ignorance haha)!
Haha. Same here. I believe it's called rotala macrandra!

I think it looks a little busy. Think about the kind of environment you want to look at :) Im still beginning too, but I'm trying.

I agree with Jahn, that red plant is coolI might try to place that in front of some of the taller whispy ones and other good background plants.

Think about getting some kind of opaque background to hide some of your equipment or consider reorganizing it.
I agree... I have to think of how I need to organize hiding my equipment. Still in working progress

#4 · (Edited)
I think it looks a little busy. Think about the kind of environment you want to look at :) Im still beginning too, but I'm trying.

I agree with Jahn, that red plant is coolI might try to place that in front of some of the taller whispy ones and other good background plants.

Think about getting some kind of opaque background to hide some of your equipment or consider reorganizing it.

#6 ·
Day 2... So I woke up to 4 cardinal tetras missing... WTH happened???

I don't see them in the fishtank or anything... the only thing I can think of is if they jumped out??? Does this happen? I'll try to look for their bodies outside the tank...

Was thinking maybe the cherry shrimp ate their bodies???

#8 ·
Yes, fish jump out. Some species more than others. tetras I dont see jumping out unless they were panicing or felt really cramped (Ive had them leap out of temporary bowls I had them in while cleaning, guess they didnt like the brief vacation outside the tank). I doubt shrimp could completely consume 4 entire fish to the point where no remains could be found...my guess is they either died from water quality issues from adding all the live stock at them same time (that'll cause a mini cycle sometimes, because theres no way the filter is prepared with enough BB to handle that bioload after having zero fish)...and perhaps got sucked up a filter or are on the bottom somewhere or in a plant, probably feedin the shrimp. People typically recommend adding ~3 fish at a time in new tanks to gradually prepare the bioload capacity. Planting can disrupt the bacteria on the tank floor as well and kick up a bunch of nasty stuff that'll hit your fish...who are stressed from being new to the tank...and therefore susceptible to various infections that are usually present in tanks but only succeed in infecting fish when theyre stressed or injured.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.