The Planted Tank Forum banner

Does anyone in Pdx have shrimp for sale?

9K views 71 replies 19 participants last post by  ylot77 
#1 ·
I would rather pick up shrimp somewhere close than deal with waiting in the mail.

I also can't decide what I want so whatever I can find locally will help narrow my choices down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
There is a gentleman in Vancouver on Craigslist who advertises on and off, I believe the last price I saw was $5/per, he says high quality CRS. The Wet Spot in Hollywood has unknown quality, unknown price CRS as well as several neocaridina colorations.

I bought some CBS off an aquatic auction site whose initials are AB and it was a super duper good experience with one seller and a less great but still totally successful experience with another, and I ended up waiting two days for one order (ordered Monday, rec'd Wednesday) and five days for another (ordered Friday, not shipped until Monday, rec'd Wednesday), which is not bad altogether. They sure are fun to watch.

I know that some other places stock ghost shrimp/grass shrimp but I have no idea about quality -- between infestations of snails, duckweed, just plain diseased stuff? Frankly there's not a ton of places in town I would willingly purchase livestock or plants from, it's a shame.

I have some mild interest in trying a meeting of GPAS to see if there's people who sell/trade there but the forum doesn't exactly set the world on fire so I have low expectations. That might be a source for invertebrates too.

#8 ·
When was that? I called them July 28th, 2012 and had them read me a list of shrimp they had in stock, and visited the store July 30th, 2012, and saw neocardina varieties in the stock shelves as well as CRS throughout all the nano tanks across all their countertops (approximately what, like 14-20 small tanks, they were rearranging when I was in there). I do not know that the CRS in those tanks were for sale, but on the phone they confirmed they do have CRS for sale.

I would recommend calling the store instead of listening to either me or this guy, because both of our information is non-authoritative.

#16 ·
Just an update since I was in the area, I went to The Wet Spot to see what kind of shrimp they had.

20-30 Crystal Reds, fairly low grade but healthy looking, $6 per. Couple of berried females in the tank, and no upcharge for them. I picked up a few that had nice color to add some diversity to my tank. There were lots of higher grade shrimp in the display tanks but not for sale.

Ghosts and Amanos, they always have these, but never very many.

Cherry Shrimp, two grades, Sakura and ungraded, the ungraded were pretty nice looking, I've seen worse sold as Sakura.

The only real downer was a tank labeled "Blueberry" and Rili, together, misidentifying the Rili as a Caridina Sp instead of a Neo. The tank was, as expected, full of kind of brown looking cherry shrimp. $8/per. No Rilis I could see.

I still hate the service there but it was fun to go look at some fish, they do have a great variety.

#18 · (Edited)
Just bought some shrimp today- hit up the east side local fish stores including Cayes for the first time.

The Tropical Hut had Bees, CRS, Amano and five other breeds/species in stock. Pets on Broadway usually carries a half dozen or so kinds of shrimp, but today they only had CRS and Amano shrimp- wound up buying Amanos @ 3/$10.

P.S. Hope this helps, and thanks for pointing me toward Cayes. They were super nice and extremely helpful, in contrast to the jerks on Hancock. :)

#28 ·
Visited The Wet Spot again today - Rili/blueberry tank, still empty. CRS tank - still has some nice looking adults but no berried females this time. Tiger shrimp, healthy but low grade - $5 a pop. No berried females. Cherry shrimp tank had just a smattering of very low grade shrimp, I don't even look at the price anymore. Amanos, bamboos in stock.

#34 ·
I've got shrimp. I usually keep ads up on craigslist.

Right now I got a ton of high grade CRS... Also have a ton of mid grade CRS.

Also have quiet a few OEBT's.

Shoot me an email if you are interested. Jarimwalter@hotmail.com

Located in Battleground, WA... Just north of Portland.

I work in Portland too, so I can deliver upon request if I can setup a time.

Occasionally, I stock the tanks at The Wet Spot. So You'll be getting them directly from the source.

I've have my tanks up and running for about 4 years now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.