The Planted Tank Forum banner

Raven_Wilde's 'Ebiwagumi' Edge (Updated Pics 6/6/2012)

35K views 79 replies 34 participants last post by  chan0482 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: This setup is No More :(

Life has gotten busy and I've had to reduce my setups to two tanks. This one did not make the cut - it happens.

Fast-forward to my recent post if you are interested in my thoughts on the EDGE product after having one up and running for about two solid years.

Current Full Tank Shot (6/5/2012):

Original 1st Post:
Finally, I'm sharing with you all the project I've been obsessing over for the past few months....

Around about the beginning of summer I decided that I wanted to set up a shrimp only tank that I could use to develop a redder/higher quality line of Cherry Shrimp. I hadn't originally intended to purchase an Edge, in fact when they first appeared in stores I thought them rather silly little contraptions. But then, the more I researched the various nano tank setups available in my price range, the more I realized that I really loved the design of this little tank. Of course, it helped that so many people on this forum (and elsewhere on the internet) were doing amazing things with them. The modification possibilities and the challenge of keeping all the equipment 'behind the scenes' also began to appeal to me as well.

I had my LFS (Fish Doctor's in Ypsilanti) special order one in Pewter and since they do internet price matching I got a really sweet deal and did not have to worry about shipping! :)

I also purchased a red metal locker/cabinet from IKEA that I'd long admired to use as a stand, I'd say it makes for a pretty striking setup....

Pretty even when empty!

Setup occurred in early July and I spent most of that month cycling the tank (I used bio-media and water from my 30gal planted tank to kick start this) and collecting plants. I had a rough idea in my mind that I wanted to attempt an Iwagumi style tank- however, given the nature of the equipment that came with the Edge and because I wanted to keep it on the low-tech side so it would be optimal for shrimp breeding, I knew that I would never be able to grow classic Iwagumi plants like HC and DHG. I resolved then that I would create a moss carpet across most of the tank, and this is where I ran into trouble.

Collecting plants- Fissidens, Xmas Moss, & Crypto Parva

My troubles began when I went to my local hardware store and purchased some stainless steel mesh to tie fissidens to in the hopes that it would grow into some super lush carpeting. What I did not know at the time was that the mesh I was buying was zinc coated. So, a couple months and many shrimp deaths later I finally figured out (after eliminating all other suspects and making a call to the hardware store to confirm my suspicions) that I had toxic levels of zinc in my tank.

Utterly disgusted with myself I pulled all the fissidens (which hadn't done well) out of the tank along with the mesh it was attached to. What followed then was nearly a month of 2-3x weekly water changes. I also crammed a ton of ChemiPure Elite in the filter to help remove the zinc. After this I rescaped the tank, cycled it some more and added some 'test pilot' shrimp to the tank... these were a couple of my browner RCS from my 30gal. They ended up surviving and were eventually moved back to their old home. The tank's current residents are my three reddest adult females and a newly added colony of Sakuras I just received from Gordon Richards.

Here are some shots of the current setup- taken at the beginning of this week.

The parva has not done well... it had just started to settle in when I went and did my big rescape. As a result there has been a lot of melt. It also doesn't help that every time the nerite snail glides by he uproots the smaller plants. I just loaded the substrate with root tabs though so I am hoping that this helps.

Complete specs are as follows:

6.6 gallon Fluval Edge Aquarium

Lighting: 2x MR11 LED bulbs- I am planning on upgrading to the new Edge LED lightbar once it becomes available as a replacement part. I had toyed with the idea of building my own a few months ago, but now that I know this is an option I will just wait bide my time a bit longer. Anyway, I am not confident enough in my DIY skills to play around with electricity and water any more than I already do.

Filtration: Mini Aquaclear HOB that came stock with the tank. Stuffed with seasoned bio-media, Chemi-Pure and filter floss.

Heater: Hydor Mini crammed into the filter basket.

Substrate: Fluval Shrimp Stratum

Ferts: Light doses of the Seachem line maybe once a week.

Flora: Xmas moss, Mini Pellia, and Cryptocoryne parva.

Fauna: Red Sakura Cherry Shrimp and one Nerite for glass cleaning.

Parting Shot:

See less See more
#12 ·
Anyways back on topic, love the layout, I think the only problem I could see down the road is that your rocks will be swallowed when your plants fill in. Other than that good luck with the shrimps.
I'm actually hoping that the plants will overgrow the rocks... my original vision was of lots of green with just the peaks of the petrified wood poking out here at there. I think that will also fix the impression that there are too many rocks.

Of course, manualfocus might be right... I may decide in a few weeks that there are too many. For right now though I'm not going to make any sudden changes, if only because the only real place in the tank that the plants are thriving is on the rocks. If I take them out I will be left with a lot of space and some not-so-great looking parva.

The tank looks nice, are you using any Excel or it that dirty word around this type of shrimp.
I am dosing a bit of Excel (about 2ml) about 3x week. Its definitely helping the plants so I plan on continuing to do so unless I notice any problems with the shrimp- in which case I will stop immediately. I dose it daily in my 30 gallon and the RCS in there breed like flies. I am however slightly concerned about this tank since it is much smaller, but I do feel that Excel is safer and easier to countermeasure than CO2 should a problem arise.

BTW the white platic mesh looks fine after it gets covered, but floating can be a problem unless your using it as a wall with suction cups. I also like the way they do it here moss wall and more
I love the whole thing! Your moss looks great. How did you attach it to the rocks?
I attached the moss to the rocks with hair nets... works pretty awesome, you can barely tell its there unless you look real close- of course, my less than awesome camera helps this out too ;)

@150EH I did consider plastic mesh but have decided to go another route. This past week I've been slowly reassembling a moss carpet and deploying it in the tank. I'll be posting an update soon about this once I'm done so check back. Its a tedious process that I have developed but I'm happy with it and think that it looks MUCH better than the plastic mesh!

Amazed at how pretty the plants are.

My plants in my edge look sick.

Even though I have an LED upgrade plus a another light source.

I am probably starving them of nutrients.

I was wondering what to do with my Edge 6 gallon when I get an Edge 12 gallon.

Probably turn it into a shrimp tank too!
What kind of plants do you have in your tank? They may just not be cut out for lower light.

#8 ·
Nice. I really wanted to get one of these tanks however I'm already maintaining three tanks. If I do however I would like to get my hands on the edge range.

Anyways back on topic, love the layout, I think the only problem I could see down the road is that your rocks will be swallowed when your plants fill in. Other than that good luck with the shrimps.

#9 ·
Amazed at how pretty the plants are.

My plants in my edge look sick.

Even though I have an LED upgrade plus a another light source.

I am probably starving them of nutrients.

I was wondering what to do with my Edge 6 gallon when I get an Edge 12 gallon.

Probably turn it into a shrimp tank too!

#11 ·
Sorry to hear about your troubles with zinc, this will even kill small animals like Quail etc., when it is used building cages with a wire mesh floor, it must be wiped down with a vinegar soaked rag and I wouldn't even use it then, at the least you got it figured out and moved on.

The tank looks nice, are you using any Excel or it that dirty word around this type of shrimp.

BTW the white platic mesh looks fine after it gets covered, but floating can be a problem unless your using it as a wall with suction cups. I also like the way they do it here moss wall and more

#16 ·
Moss Carpet: Round 2

About a day after I started this journal I took a good long look at my tank and decided that I still really wanted a moss carpet. Since the stainless steel mesh I'd initially tried this with had proven toxic and I don't like the way plastic mesh looks I decided to pay a visit to the local craft store and see what I could find to get this job done.

After a lot of wandering around, picking up various products and confusing the hell out of a few store employees I made it home with the following:

1 yard of nylon tulle/mesh
1 spool of all purpose brown cotton thread
2 packs of super cheap black glass beads​

My idea was basically the same as any other moss carpet, only this time, the mesh would be barely visible and cut to size in organic shapes that fit in and around the hardscape. In order to secure the moss I very carefully stitched it to the mesh bit by bit with the cotton thread. Yes, this took quite a bit of time and patience...

After I had the moss secured I then used nylon fishing line to tie a few glass beads to the tulle mesh to serve as sinkers.

When placed in the tank I pushed the beads down into the substrate rendering them invisible. The mesh itself is also barely visible and I have no doubt that once the moss grows in the brown cotton thread will also disappear.

All told (using the playback history of my Netflix account as a sort of a log) I spent 18.93333 hours working on this carpet, deploying it in the tank and generally fussing over the layout. It includes not only Xmas moss but also Fissidens... the difference it makes in the tank, I think, justifies the time spent:

#25 ·
I've been looking for a mesh with a more open nature and light material and what you have is perfect, I had picked up some green plastic sheets but it's really too heavy. What craft store did you get that from and what is it typically used for so I know where to look?

BTW the tank looks real good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.