The Planted Tank Forum banner

Newbie with questions on 29 gallon tank (pics)

4K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  ScubaSteve 
#1 ·
I have a 29 gallon tank with Onyx sand and just got it planted the way I want. The LFS sold me on a 48w Aquatic Life T5HO light and looking at my tank now, I am afraid I have too much light. I am dosing with Excel and I am planning on fertilizing with Flourish. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. Thank you!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Im in the same situation as you and i were you id keep using the two bulbs and see how algae growth is. What i recommend with what im doing with my 29 gallon is have 4 otos for clearing up any algae and they also clean the plant leaves very well which is what i love about them. Then dose the proper supplements for the plants. Get what you can and try to get Seachem Excel which is a good source of carbon and you can also combine that with the diy co2 and you should be good to go. Just stock up on more plants!

#6 ·
Do you have the HO t5 bulbs as well? What kind of setup do you have as far as co2,etc?

Estimative Index (EI) fertilizing is a very good idea for a potentially high light tank like yours, assuming those are High Output bulbs. If so, you'll need CO2 too.

Unless you like algae, I'd use only one bulb until you're fully equipped.
What is IE fertilizing and would flourish accomplish that?

#10 ·
Yea all this information ive looked through it all just gets REALLY CONFUSING AND IRRITATING. But if you dose excel and have a good DIY co2 setup with a diffuser u can purchase off ebay for $5-10 you should be fine im sure. Otherwise i recommend making a pressurized system that only costs about $100-115. If u want to know how to do it i can definately link u to the guide. Its mainly running off a paintball tank but reffiling can be annoyinf but take this as a suggestion.

#15 ·
Actually, I think the plants are starting to perk up since I added my DIY CO2 the other day...it is running around 1.25 bubbles a second (I have yet to figure out the PPM in the tank). I have been dosing with Excel every other day and I am doing Flourish once a week. I am trying to figure out what other ferts to supplemant with as well. Oh, I also add a few fish (after cycling with stability). I have had the fish in for a little over a week and they are doing great.

Here are the pics of my CO2 System...I am adding a second bottle today.

Attachments

#18 ·
I bought a Fluval diffuser and bubble counter...that was a total of $9.00 on Amazon. Then I went to Wal Mart and bought the yeast, tubing, suction cups and check valve...about $5 total. I then used a left over apple juice bottle and some silicone I had around the house (the green stuff is play doh that I then put silicone over). I have gotten some great growth so far...especially out of the microswords...I woke up this morning and they had shoots that had spread out about an inch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.