The Planted Tank Forum banner

Good idea to derim tank?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  nalu86 
#1 ·
I want to set up a new nano, but ADA's prices are keeping me away... (for now at least). I really like the Mini L, so I'm wondering if it's a good idea to de-rim a 10 gallon. Here are my questions:

1. Is it worth the time and money?
2. It will be safe if I take off both the top and bottom rims, right?
3. If the silicone job is terrible can I cut some away with an Exacto?
4. Will it look good?
5. Anything else I should know?

Thanks

#2 ·
I would not remove the bottom rim, since the tank is designed so it sits on the plastic rim and not the bottom glass. I once removed the top rim on a 15 gallon high tank - same footprint, but taller tank. It worked fine, but I never completely filled it with water. What it will look like depends on the manufacturer of the tank, and the care taken when it was assembled. It can look good, or bad (sharp edges, not so straight, with the panels not well aligned). And, the glass on a 10 gallon is much thinner than on that 15 gallon tank.

#3 ·
I'd say go for it. I de-rimmed my 10gallon, but only the top. The tips I followed did both top and bottom, but I pansied out. When I emptied it out and started my 20g long, the partially rimless 10g sat in my garage. After reading a whole bunch of threads on it, I couldn't find anyone that had a bad experience with taking the bottom off too. And I'm pretty sure if somebody had a horror story they would post it and warn others. So a few weeks ago I went out and took the bottom plastic off the 10g just to see what it would be like. The seams weren't very flush, but it didn't look dodgy enough to make me want to tear it apart and re-align/silicone it. So I agree with Hoppy in saying that each tank is unique under the plastic. But yeah, there are a grip of success stories about taking all the plastic off. However, it seems like all those who act like they have a clue as to what they're doing put a piece of foam or something between the tank and the stand, like the ADA garden mat. So I vote go for it, journal the process, and post the success story!

#6 ·
My derimmed 75 gallon tanks is still going strong, but I wouldn't do a 10, not worth it for 100 bucks you can buy a nice +-10 gallon rimmless tank.

a lot of people broke 10 gals when they removed the rim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.