The Planted Tank Forum banner

What are some expensive fw fish?

9K views 66 replies 39 participants last post by  Jeffww 
#1 ·
Just wanted to know what are some expensive fish that would be good for a freshwater aquarium? I saw a few at my lfs and just wanted to know prices, looks and sizes of any freshwater fish. Thanks!

#32 ·
Aquascapes

Visit Aquascapes in Aiea - they always have some hard-to-find (and correspondingly pricey) fish. Usually some very unusual apistos. Last month, had some dicrossus maculatus, which were pretty striking.

#34 · (Edited)
Here are some uncommon ones

Otocinclus cocama
Imperial Blue Rainbow Tetra Hyphessobrycon sp. red-blue peru
Gold Laser Cory CW010
Odessa Barb Puntius padamya
Hikari Danios
Yellow Tail Polka Dot Loach Yasuhikotakia splendida
Panda Loach Protomyzon pachychilus
Sarcocheilichthys parvus
Pseudomugil furcatus
Notropis chrosomus
Hypseleotris compressa
peppermint pikeheads Luciocephalus aura
Orange Otocinclus Nannoptopoma sp. Peru orange
Zhou's Scarlet Goby Rhinogobius zhoui
Daisy's Ricefish Orysias woworae
Neon Yellow Green Microrasboras Microdevario kubotai

#38 ·
So your the one who bought my puffer?!?!?! Lol I have a orange congo. They are awesome! I took my husband to Wetspot not that long ago hoping the hairy puffer was still there so I could show it to him.

I paid $60 for my orange congo puffer. He was a baby when I got him too, at 1 1/2" long.

#41 ·
All these fish are amazing you guys are doing great! Btw I use to keep bettas before. actually had about 6-1 gallon tanks with plakats/ fighters at one point....wouldn't believe how mad i was when my mom gave my red dragon betta to the lfs...sad sad day in my life.

#46 ·
I purchased all 6 at my Lfs and the two known females died. Not sure why as water parameters are perfect. Fingers crossed that a 3rd is a female and not an under developed male. They ordered more for me and got 12 stupid males.....

I see what your saying about a mated pair though. I need more females now but someone else at the store is going to the whole seller and said he would "try" to pick some out for me but I'm not sure he knows what he's looking for. :-(

Yours are very pretty, btw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#47 ·
I purchased all 6 at my Lfs and the two known females died. Not sure why as water parameters are perfect. Fingers crossed that a 3rd is a female and not an under developed male. They ordered more for me and got 12 stupid males.....

I see what your saying about a mated pair though. I need more females now but someone else at the store is going to the whole seller and said he would "try" to pick some out for me but I'm not sure he knows what he's looking for. :-(

Yours are very pretty, btw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the comment.

I think your females probably died because you have too many males trying to mate with them. If you're able to get another female I suggest keeping just 1 male to 1 female. 2 female to 1 male is always better though.
It could also just be that they are young males and got harassed to death because the other males have already claimed their territory and there was no more territory for them to claim.

I only aquired my female Scarlet Badis by buying over 20+ "Pale" female looking Scarlet Badis at one time at my local fish store. Out of that whole purchase I was only able to get 2 females. That just goes to show how rare the females are in the trade.

#66 ·
I bet the older members on here can remember when the blue-eyed panaque was a $15 fish, maybe 20 years ago? My guess is they have been fished out of their native habitat to the point where they are only found very rarely, if at all.

If you want a fish that is extinct in it's natural habitat and only exists in the hobby pick up some white cloud mountain fish. They have been eliminated from their native mountain streams and are only found in tropical fish breeding ponds.

#53 ·
Expensive... but that Pleco is freaking awesome!

#56 ·
the problem you will run into with alot of fish is hawaii has very strict import laws and they dont alow much to come in fish or shrimp wise. so about the only way you will get alot of these fish is to spend alot in permits and pray they make it though customs fast enough they dont die. however there are some awsome angels and guppys from a breeder in hawaii. he used to sale on aquabid but have not looked for his auctions lately. i myself dont go for really expensive but try to get fish not alot of people keep. i love my blue fin killie fish ( a us native) my hillstream loaches, and i love my ken kennedy phillipine blue x platinum pearl scale angels that have started laying eggs. the parents to my angels came from ken kennedy himself so i have some awsome linage on my fish and they are so pretty.

#63 ·
This was my first planted tank. I have had over 10 plus tanks in the last 7 or so years. I was really into bettas for a while and had 5 plus tanks going at the same time with the almond leafs and weekly water changes. So i feel im pretty good on how to keep tanks thriving. Just started a planted tank since november. Luckily for me i had a friend give me advice on how to keep a planted tank including algae, co2, weekly water changes 25-50%, ph gh kh, what fish to keep in a tank, shrimps, soft/hardwater plants. So i think im okay on how to keep fish in a tank. But thank you for your concern. Like i said before im just interested in seeing different types of fish and want to expand my knowledge on types of fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.