The Planted Tank Forum banner

Where to find trapdoor snails in the wild?

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  finsNfur 
#1 ·
I have a few trapdoor snails in my pond, and would like to add a few more as they breed so slowly and I'm tired of waiting. :icon_wink I know they are found in the wild so I'd rather find them myself instead of buying them. Has anyone seen them in ponds or rivers anywhere in Ct.? They are really, really large snails, not the common small snails. Thanks!

#3 ·
Cool! I've actually been wanting to check that area out, now I have the perfect reason for doing so. Is there an easily-accessable shallow area of the lake? Never having seen it I'm not sure what to expect, and if it's huge I'd rather have an idea where to start looking. I've also been looking for a good place to take my 8 year old fishing and I see that there is fishing at the lake allowed, too. Thanks so much!

#4 ·
The part of the lake closest to the parking lot is shallow, there's a sandy area that's used as a canoe launch and it's very shallow. If you walk around the area of the lake before it opens up, there's plenty of spots to stop and looks for the snails. This shallow area is also great for fishing, I've had great luck right before dusk landing bass. Some nights I would catch 5-6 in an hour. Biggest one I caught was about 18", but one of the DEP rangers told me he witnessed someone catch a 2 footer a few years back. Good spot for catfish too!

#8 ·
I went up there today, and didn't see a single snail. Maybe I was at the wrong entrance, I was coming from the parkway and pulled into the first parking lot I found. There was a sandy little beach there, and a couple of guys fishing near a bridge, they caught a small bass while I was there. I walked along the lake a ways, crossed over a dam, and the lake curved to the right. There were a few more little places close to the water, but still I couldn't find any snails. LOL, do I need to wade into the water?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.