The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ada Iwagumi Tank And Steps --Photo Heavy--

30K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  BettaBettas 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am working on an new Iwagumie Style tank with HC and Micro swords. Previously I have had great success planting HC using the Dry start method, i will also be doing the same for this tank.

This Log will be separated into 3 stages.
Stage 1- Pre planting
Stage 2- Dry start
Stage 3- Flooding

In the first few weeks i will be updating this log regular so you guys can see the growth process of the plants. Enjoy!

Stage 1 - Pre Planting
** Interesting fact** Did you know that HC is a "Steam plant", therefor you can just trim the HC and replant the trimmings.
That is exactly what i did here. Since i already have a well established HC tank i trimmed and replanted the HC for my new ADA tank.
The reason why i am planting the HC prior to my new tank is so i can get a good root system established while i am collection my supplies for the future tank.

This is a super simple method to expanding your collection of HC. and here is my secret.....
DON"T over think it. All i did was fill a small basket with regular garden soil and threw the trimmings on top. (no planting required)
The Key is to keep the soil moist, to a point where the water level is about 0.5cm over the soil level. Also covering the top of the basket with saran wrap.
Covering the top will stabilize the necessary humidity for the HC to survive. One more impotent thing DO NOT PUT IN DIRECT SUN LIGHT. I can guarantee if you do your HC will die. I would suggest indirect sunlight for at least 8 hours a day.

~i will also be selling HC in the Calgary Location in about 2 months. PM me if you are interested

Aug-22-2012

Time to gather my Supplies
-ADA Cube Garden -$110
-ADA Amazonia Aquarium Soil -$50
-Sun Blaster T5ho Light -$30
-Fluval 205 Canister Filer - $80

For you guys out there looking for a cheap light fixture i would highly recommend the Sun Blaster T5 lights. This light fixture is designed for greenhouse use, but you can still use if for your aquarium.
Specs- T5ho 24w, Lumen 2232, Length 24", 6400k
I can't complain for $30

There are the Sunblaster Lights

ADA Cube Garden- Dimensions: 45cm X 27cm X 30cm (just a little over 10 gallons)

Fluval 205 (for later use)

ADA Amazonia Aqua Soil

Sept-22-2012
One month later i decided that it is time to start up my new tank. As you can see in the picture below the HC has grown quite a bit. The leaves are extremely green and they look very ready for planting.
Prior to planting these i uprooted the HC and rinsed them in a bucket of water. (to get the soil off). I then clumped them in to small clumps for planting.

Expanding my population of HC

Here comes the fun stuff. The Landscaping!
I later did change up the landscape by a bit afterwards, but i was too lazy to take more pictures. haha!
In the front i have about 2.5" of soil and at the back it's up to 5" tall.

Sept-25-2012
After a few days of rocks play i have finally perfected my scaping. (well how i like it)
This is the where stage 2 begins. Weekly posts will be made for you guys to see the HC and micro swords growth progression.

Stage 2 - Dry Start
As you can see in the pictures below i planted the HC in about 90% of the tank and 10% of Microswords in the back.
...and yes i did use the whole basket of HC.

First i poured enough water in the tank to flood the lowest point.
then i started planting.

At this point i will keep the tank waterless for about 1 month. Since my tank is in a dry state i will not have any Co2 issues as well as Algae problems.
I have my light on a timer for 13 hours per day to promote growth. Once again if you are doing the dry start method you need saran wrap on top of your tank.
I will be misting my tank once every 4 days and lifting the saran wrap each day for air exchange.

Sept-26-2012

Sept-28-2012

Sept-29-2012

Oct-02-2012

Oct-03-2012

As you can see in the photos above the HC is starting to connect to each other. I am super excited since it's growing way faster then i anticipated. I am Planning on giving it a few more weeks before starting stage 3. (adding water)

Today i also also went to a Planted Aquarium seminar hosted at Pisces. It was awesome and very informative. The best part of the seminar was that it was very ADA focused.
The host of the show went in to great details using ADA products. We also got some cool ADA gift bags and Pisces coupons. "We are not doing a fish tank here. We are doing a planted aquarium. The fishes are additions to the PLANTED tank ~Norm"

After the seminar i went on Ebay and bought a few new items for stage 3 of the tank.
1) A set of 13 mm lily pipes
2) A Hydor ETH 200 inline heater
3) Moonlight Led
4) Glass Drop Checker
5) Rhinox 1000 Diffuser
~ i will post some pictures of these products when they arrive in the mail ~

YAY!:fish: I get a chance to play with my camera. (Sony Nex 5n)

See less See more
#28 ·
Thanks guys! It's nice to know that someone out there likes my project. :)

I am super excited to flood the tank. Everyday I am thinking of taking off the saran wrap and pour in some water. It's hard to resist the temptation!

What kind of fish do you guys think i should put in ? I want a bunch of small school fishes. Nothing that is a jumper thou. Maybe Neon Tetras?

@Hayden - High res only !! Once you go HD you can't go back. just like my TV

#29 ·
Have you considered some type of Rasabora? Maybe Boraras Brigittae, or Boraras Merah. If your not familiar with these species they're extremely small, also they're tight schoolers. They're my personal favorite. :D
I tried Neon's in my last tank, then went to Boraras Briggitae. The diference was astonishing- not only did the Boraras' colors naturally compliment plants much better (in my eyes), but they're small size gave an unbelievably better perspective to the tank. Neons were just too big for me! (especially with your relatively small hardscape.)
My two cents, what do others think?

#30 ·
Great journal and VERY useful information to me. I just started my own journal and i chose to get a Fluval 106. So the discussion here on clear tubing size and an inexpensive source of glass lily pipes, both of which i need since in using the stock (ugly) ribbed Fluval tubing.

Anyway, can't wait to see your tank flooded with the filter equipment. I'll probably run out and follow suit (clear tubing and aquatic magic pipes) once i know everything works out for you.

#31 · (Edited)
@ Brian Awesome! I am glad that this Journal is helping you.

Just FYI I have tested my Filter loop with just bucket of water and everything works great.
If you decide to follow the 1/2ID tubing you want to get 13mm lilys pipes; it fits like a charm. It is indeed tough to fit the 1/2 over the fluval system, but it fits.

@Hayden went to my LFS after i read you post on Boraras Brigittae. And you are right i love them. Since they only grow up to a max length of 2cm that would work great in my 10 gallon.
At the same time i still really like the blue neon tetras. I guess i still have a ton of time to decide before adding fish in.

#35 ·
you have a really well detailed journal going on here, and you have really well developed patience :D haha good luck to finishing up the "dry" start and getting the tank flooded !

#43 ·
Hey guys,

Sorry I have been super busy for the past little while and haven't had time with aquatic stuff. But I am back !!! I will be rescaping my tank in a few weeks in a brand new 30 gallon long rimless tank. As well as rescaping my current ada tank. stay tune for updates :)

p.s. i just ordered a 5lb co2 tank and a regulator :)

-Mahwka

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.