The Planted Tank Forum banner

13w UV bulb instead of 9w UV?

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  darack82 
#1 ·
I have a sunsun hw-304b canister that has the 9w uv bulb. I was wondering if I could replace that with a 13w bulb when that goes out of if that would hurt the unit at all?

They both have the same style base, same number of pins, and are the same length. Would this be an option since I feel the 9w bulb doesnt do much with 525gph of water flying by it.

#4 ·
I have not tried it, but as long as it physically will fit into the fixture it seems like it would work. I am honestly not sure how much difference the 4w in output will make, but if the fixture will power it up then it will work fine. Typically if the ballast or electronics are not compatible with a particular bulb it will simply not work, so plugging it in will probably be the best test.

#5 ·
Can you help me with the UV bulb change on HW-304B?

I just got the HW-304B from Ebay and I think I got an used one with a non-functioning UV light. I have the manual but the instructions are uncomprehensive on how to change the UV bulb. Can you please help me with this?
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.