The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rusty's 10 Gallon Low Tech Shrimp Tank

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  AUvet14 
#1 ·
Well, here it is. My manzanita came in today and I put together a hardscape. I'm planning on keeping some congo fern, maybe some flame moss or other moss, anubias coffeefolia, anubias nana 'petite', crypt wendtii green, crypt lutea, maybe crypt pontederiifolia, maybe a java fern, and anything else I might think of before I make a plant order.

Light: 15W T8
Substrate: Fluval Shrimp Stratum
Filter: AquaClear 20

See less See more
#4 ·
My ginormous order of plants should ship out today and get here on Friday. I have a bunch of different lower light plants that I'm going to try. I'm probably going to have to sell off some of them as they grow and get biggger, but I wanted to try so many.

So here's my plant lineup:
Anubias barteri
anubias nana
anubias nana 'petite'
anubias hastifolia
anubias frazeri
cryptocoryne wendtii green
c. wendtii 'florida sunset'
c. retrospiralis
c. spiralis
c. lutea
c. undulatus
c. pontederifolia
bolbitus heudelotii
microsorium pteropus

I know this is a lot for a 10 gallon, but the plants from Aquariumplants.com usually arrive on the small side and like I said, I wanted to try a bunch of different plants. I will remove them as they grow fuller and I decide which ones I like the most. I think I've decided that I'm probably going to run my DIY CO2 on this tank with a pretty slow bubble rate, just to try to achieve denser growth quicker. I'm not really looking to breed shrimp like crazy, so I'm not too concerned with adding CO2 on this shrimp tank.

#7 ·
Thanks. I got it from Manzanitadriftwood.com Lol. Simple as that. They've got pics of all the pieces they have and they list the dimensions of each piece to give you an idea of the size. :) Pretty reasonable prices too and they'll let you combine shipping if possible if you get multiple pieces.

#8 ·
Planted. :) I know it looks pretty thin right now. Hopefully it will fill in in a couple months.

I will be adding some flame moss on the vertical branch on the left and probably some fissidens on the branch that is coming toward the front on the right side. I also might move around the java fern and the anubias frazeri.

#11 ·
Okay, so I've had a change of heart with this tank. Since my initial reason for setting this tank up was to be able to experiment with low light plants first and foremost and then probably keep PFR shrimp secondly, I've now decided to drain the tank most of the way and begin growth in this tank as emersed culture. Top is covered with plastic wrap and I will be misting with a spray bottle every couple days. I am curious to see how quickly these plants grow in emersed culture. I might run this tank this way for a few months before I eventually flood it. I'm interested to see how this works. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.