The Planted Tank Forum banner

Northern Pikes?!

3K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  kwheeler91 
#1 ·
Anyone have northern pikes or muskies? please share!!
also does anyone know where i could order them online or buy at a fish store around Chicago?

#3 ·
There are also the legal aspects to consider, both on the acquiring end of things and on the keeping end.

I know in Wisconsin it is not legal to go out and catch a fish and take it home for your aquarium or pond. I bought my bluegills from someone who stocks private ponds. As long as I have the receipt I'm on the right side of the law.

#6 ·
i really dont know why people buy fish like these and even gar. they are far to big for home tanks and so mean for a fish that size to be in a small tank. and aquariums dont want them most of the time so they get dumped back into the wild with no clue on hunting for food and then get caught on some ones hook. just kinda sad

#13 ·
Try a pike cichlid and squint your eyes a little , It will look the same :)

#17 ·
Im not going to dog on you for wanting to keep a huge species. Look at all the people who keep arapaima or shovelnose cats etc.... However muskie is probably pushing the bar, thats a BIG fish man. Northerns and walleye are still big fish but as long as the tank was large enough and you could keep the water cool, as well as clean due to their eating habits, more power to you. These types of fish are probably best for ponds though. Grass pickerel stay around 18in (dont quote me) which is a much more managable size for an aquarium fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.