The Planted Tank Forum banner

Live sand in freshwater?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Shaunjeffery 
#1 ·
I started my new freshwater tank the other day with a layer of 30 lbs FloraMax and what I thought was 25 lbs freshwater sand...

I was putting everything away today snd noticed it was saltwater live sand. Well that explained the prolonged cloudiness and film at the top...

But what does this mean? I figure that my water will be very hard with a high Ph. I was planning on doing a community fish tank...

I don't have to empty the whole thing and start over do I? I can correct this with chemicals right?

#4 ·
PRobably a little salty too until a few water changes. I'd scoop it out and just run it through a sieve. Most of the sand will wash out and you'll have floramax left...A little calcium won't hurt if all that's left is some shell and whatever

#5 ·
I spent the last 3.5 hours empting the water, rinsing the substrate in a colander and refilling the aquarium.

I lost a some FloraMax And still have sand mixed in. I will syphon it in the next few days and purchase some more FloraMax and some sand but read it more carefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.