The Planted Tank Forum banner

First Planted Tank

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  chinds78 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first planted tank and first post on this site!

I am in the proces of turning my 10G betta tank into a planted tank. Here's my setup so far

Standard 10G tank with small HOB filter using filter floss and biomax
Standard incodecent fixture with two 23W 6500K CFLs
25W Heater
One betta

Here's what I plan to add:
Begin dosing with Flourish after a month
Flourish plant tabs

Plants:
1 Red Flame
1 Hygrophila, Temple Narrow Leaf - Bunch Plant
1 Micro Sword
2 Anubias Nana
2 Anubias hastifolia
1 Wisteria
3 Java Ferns

Here's my questions:
What do you think of this setup and plant selection?
Should I add CO2?
Should I add flourite or some sort of plant substrate?

Any feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
i think you may be okay to pass on flourite and save a couple dollars. a majority of your plants are water column feeders. the wisteria (can be planted or can be left floating) is going to be a good "nitrate sucker" and the ferns and anubias should be allowed to root on wood or rocks. i wouldn't suggest burying them in the substrate. your other plants that do get rooted will probably be okay with just some tabs underneath the roots. these will also be okay without Co2 and in low light.

your microsword will like fertile substrate and high light though.

make sure to keep your temple leaf dosed with iron. it craves it!

#5 ·
sure thing! I'm trying dwarf sag as a foreground currently. it looks similar to the microsword. The only problem i've heard is that it grows pretty tall under a lower light setting. you may need to trim it when it gets taller. I'm not exactly sure where you'd fall in the lighting category. I'm also trying dwarf baby tears which is supposed to be REALLY hard without Co2.

From what you have as a light setup now that i re-read it, you may be okay to give the microwsword a try. I'll have to have a second opinion on that, but I bet if it doesn't work out, pygmy chain sword may work out well for you!

#4 ·
I 100% agree with riley. I have close to identical setup to your plant and its been running close to 3 months now. I only use fine gravel and root tabs and my swords are happy. You may wanna keep an eye on the 2x 23w (i'm assuming its the spiral fluorescent) light for overheating the tank. I find out early that I have to completely turn off my heater and open my windows to cool the room and my tank. Also my micro sword are doing ok. it just grew a little longer trying to get more light.

#6 ·
Thanks for the great replies!

I saw some one growing micro sword on youtube with my lightening setup and it seemed to work ok. That's what inspired me to try plus I like like the way it looked in front of a big rock. :)

I do have the spiral CFLs and they do get quite warm. Fortunately, my betta doesn't seem to mind. I may have to keep an eye on it during the summer. Right now I have them on for about 12 hours day and it seems ok. Is that a good light period for plants or do they need more like 16 hours?

#10 ·
from my understanding, 8 hours seems to be the common/mean photoperiod. but i have read of people who go anywhere from 6-12 hours

and i had a 10g petsmart kit and 2x 23w spiral CFL bulbs made some pretty large temperature swings in such a small tank. i would recommend trying out the 13w bulbs if you can find them.

also, whats your substrate now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.