The Planted Tank Forum banner

BG Algae Help

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RD3557 
#1 ·
Starting to see a small amount of cyanobacteria in my 55G planted. Curious to see if anyone has had any luck with 2 x dosing Excel to fix this (I can't seem to find a difinitive answer on this). Also, I still have a bottle of API Algaefix (would this have any impact on the cyanobacteria?). I'm thinking that the cause was an open window for a week (it was getting hit with direct sunlight for 2-3 hours a day =(. I've since closed the blinds and the tank is now receiving a photoperiod of 8 hours a day (2 x 48" T5NO 28w bulbs).

Also, I've read that BG algae doesn't do well where there are high levels of movement/circulation. The odd thing is that I'm seeing it grow on the leaves/rhizomes of my Java Ferns (where they're clearly getting movement). Anyways, I could really use some help guys (I'm still a newbie).

#2 ·
Hi RD3557,

I have not found dosing of Excel / glutaraldehyde at 2X dosage to have any effect on BGA and in my tank it seemed to grow just fine in areas of high current.

Here is what worked for me; basically treat the cause by getting my nitrate (NO3) up and treat with Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2).

#3 ·
There are a number of people that have used over the counter 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) to knock this stuff right out. Do a site search and the details should pop up for you. Basically shut off the pumps, allow the water to calm down and dose right onto it. Vacuum out all you can and up the nitrates.
(getting old and slow LOL) what him said

#6 ·
Thanks guys! I ended up starting with hp to spot treat the worst area(s). I had to throw out the Java Fern (it was rotting, smelly, and covered with quite a bit of cyanobacteria on the roots/rhizome). It wasn't in good shape to begin with. In regards to the Erythromycin, do you guys recommend a particular product? I'm sure I will just end up buying this to resolve the problem for good.
Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.