The Planted Tank Forum banner

Glosso growth

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  mistergreen 
#1 ·
So I have glossy growing in my tank but instead of carpeting, it's growing straight up. I know it's the light intensity. Does any body know at what par it grows sideways?

Mine is at 50-60 par at the substrate. I wonder if I should bother with messing the the lights since I have things the ways I want (little algae).

#4 ·
its not as much about the light intensity as u think yet everyone tends to think that way. how often are u trimming it? ive had glosso grow strait up with some super high light after that it kinda debunks just light as the key just like tom shows in his tanks same general light output. best way i can get people to think about it is like hair if you dont comb your hair it will do its own thing but after a little of combing it the same way it begins to grow that way, same with mowing lawns if you go the same way every time it will lay down and not get a good cut but if u cross cut it will grow strait and fill in much thicker.

#5 ·
Hey, you might've heard somewhere online that glosso grows up in low-light situations. While this is true, it isn't always the case. Plants grow toward their sources of light, and once a plant grows up there's really no reason for it to grow sideways to reach the light.

Follow Chaolord's advice and replant until you have a nice carpet.

#17 ·
Great recovery, but OUCH ! what a mess it made.

#19 ·
I may have to invent an underwater "lawn mower" of sorts with water drain hose in place of a "catch bag" before I grow glosso again. LOL I had over 12sq. feet of the stuff to trim and using a pair of scissors to do it was a PITA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.