The Planted Tank Forum banner

LFS New York City update... BETA 1.0

401K views 4K replies 300 participants last post by  Qckwzrd 
#1 ·
Hello New Yorkers,

This thread would be dedicated to let every one know what's going on with LFS (Local Fish Store). Some members of this forum started to post some updates from some of the LFS and I thought that I would be a good idea to make one specific thread that every one can look constantly.

I work near by Win Tropical and Pacific World and I would keep you guys update on their stocks. Feel free to PM is you have any particular question because I won't post every single thing that they have, but I would happy to check for you.

Please feel free to review and recommended any other store.

PD. If you find any grammar mistake or want to add more please PM me!!!

Cheers,

Jose:fish::fish:

#3,463 ·
Score! Pygma, just like chilies seem to be seasonal fish so they will eventually be available in late summer. Im eagerly awaiting for the next opportunity to visit Fishtown in ramsey to see how their main room is redone with fresh water and planted tanks. the were just installing the custom cabinet to a movie prop fish tank that one of their patrons acquired at auction. apparently it came from a new movie starring leonardo dicaprio shot locally. It had massive twin overflows at each corner of the tank. Its worth noting that they have bumped up the variety of shrimp they stock as well as small nano fish. definitely worth visiting if you are in the area.

I got my scissors here (can't go wrong for $5.35):

http://www.precisionproducts.us/F604SC-Machine-Scissors-6-Double-Bend-Style-p/f604sc.htm

And for tweezers, McMaster has a good selection, I order tools for work from them all the time, and their warehouse is in Jersey, so you would get things 1-3 days later:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-tweezers/=n95w9j
Peter, thanks for sharing the link. plenty of great tools there. my current goto trimmers are these 4" iris scissors:
which happen to be in stock at mcmaster ;)

#3,467 · (Edited)
Petco Union Square has male & female dwarf gouramis for $4.99 ea or $2.99 with a Pals card. They're the wild type, & they appeared to be healthy. So tempted, but I'm up to my ears in anabantoids. Pacific had a tank full of female dwarf gouramis (I forget the price) & some rare yellow-tailed Congo tetras for 14.99 ea. or 3 for $30.00. The Congos were very impressive, but regular Congos are much nicer & much cheaper. They also had quite a few sunset variatus for a buck apiece.

#3,468 ·
Went to Pacific, some very interesting stuff.

Blue Neon Micro Rasbora
Chilli Rasbora
Hatchetfish
Golden Neon Tetras
Hillstream Loaches
Sterbai Cory
Galaxy Rasbora
Female Dwarf gourami
Ctenopoma Leopard
Long fin Cherry Barbs
Paradise fish
Dumbo Bettas
Yellowtail Congo Tetras
Large regular congos (amazing color)
Larger Bosemani Rainbows
Blue Preacox Rainbows
Oto Cats
True Siamese Algae Eaters!!!
Rummynose tetras (very colorful and lively)
Roseline barbs small and larger sizes
Large Harlequin rasboras
Neon red flame badis
Some awesome looking freshwater gobies, forgot name, definitely something unique
Chocolate shrimp, Yellow Shrimp, Blue Shrimp, Amanos, Red Crystals
So many more, can't remember all.

#3,479 ·
Petco seems to be getting more "rare" fish...I think its still the same vendor seagrest? but theres just some new things they havent carried before. Dan mentioned a few before. Its also confusing because they have tags with different names and prices yet the same fish. (ruby clown cichlid, vs bolivian ram. rili shrimp vs. red and white shrimp. )

Visited 86nLex and union square

A lot more rainbows it seems

Marci rainbow
Neon rainbow
Parkinson rainbow
Maccullochi rainbow
Madagascar rainbow
Rhino pleco
horned nerites
Zebra oto ($21 but didnt see any in stock)
woworae kili (daisys rice fish Im guessing)
blue eyed albino plecos
grasscutter shark (looks like a catfish... like a pangasius mixed with a debauwi. googling \ Schilbe mystus?)
Dwarf Emerald rasbora - Microrasbora erythromicron
stone catfish
hengeli rasbora
pseudomugil gertrudae (only saw one female i think..)
pseudomugil furcatus
boraras brigittae
Red rili shrimp - didnt look too great $6-7

I picked up a few "assorted" cories.. which turned out to be reticulated cories I think.. they have them mixed with trilineatus, so hard to spot but definitely a different species.

#3,485 ·
I have to say, that 50 percent off Win closing sale really helped get this tank started - in fact I used a spare aquaclear filter just last night as a temporary pre-filter, and a few plants are still around from that first grab bag, especially the red cabomba. The topper is the 10 Emperor Tetra, half of which survived a nasty bout of levamisole treatment and now are the kings of the tank (4 are males, 1 female, so those guys are really showing some great color and fin structure now!)

#3,487 ·
Mine had camallanus worms - really put a stopper on any new fauna until that was all cleared out. Good news though is that the treatment killed it all off and it was a good wake up call to be vigilant! None of the newer additions to the tank have them after a month so all's good, but yep, lost half of the first adds to the tank that way.

#3,493 ·
Fishtown USA (Flushing)

Albino cherry barbs (males) - $4 3/$11
Otos - $2 3/$5.50
Electric blue balloon rams - $35
Large black phantom tetras - $3.49 3/$10
Lamprologus congoensis - $20 2/$38
Kuhli loach - $3 3/$8.50
Congo tetras - $10 2/$19
Polypterus mokelembembe - $35
Snowball Pleco (L142) - $60
Candystripe Pleco (L015) - $40
Scalare angelfish - $30
Bosemani rainbows - $10 2/$19
Synodontis flavitaeniata - $15
Longfin albino bristlenose - $6 2/$11.75
Threadfin rainbows - $7 2/$13.50
Gold german blue rams - $7 2/$13.50
Large orange von rio tetras - $3 3/$8.50
Black neons - $1.49 3/$4.25
Female marble bettas - $4 2/$7.75
Veiltail cherry barbs (males) - $7 2/$13.50
Large trapdoor snails - $5 3/$15

#3,494 ·
fishtown usa (flushing)

albino cherry barbs (males) - $4 3/$11
otos - $2 3/$5.50
electric blue balloon rams - $35
large black phantom tetras - $3.49 3/$10
lamprologus congoensis - $20 2/$38
kuhli loach - $3 3/$8.50
congo tetras - $10 2/$19
polypterus mokelembembe - $35
snowball pleco (l142) - $60
candystripe pleco (l015) - $40
scalare angelfish - $30
bosemani rainbows - $10 2/$19
synodontis flavitaeniata - $15
longfin albino bristlenose - $6 2/$11.75
threadfin rainbows - $7 2/$13.50
gold german blue rams - $7 2/$13.50
large orange von rio tetras - $3 3/$8.50
black neons - $1.49 3/$4.25
female marble bettas - $4 2/$7.75
veiltail cherry barbs (males) - $7 2/$13.50
large trapdoor snails - $5 3/$15

need more black neons too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.